If you dislike Songkran, you're going to HATE this proposal

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Re: If you dislike Songkran, you're going to HATE this proposal

Post by 2lz2p »

Songkran throughout most of Thailand has been a 3 day period. As mentioned by GB, Pattaya has always designated two following days to celebrate. Based on my recollection way back when, the purpose was to not celebrate on the usual 3 days, but do so later so that the many workers that return to their home city/town/village for the 3 day period can celebrate again with their Pattaya friends and coworkers.

However, as we all know that have lived here for a while, the Thais remaining here do celebrate on the usual 3 days and then the days designated by Pattaya/Naklua - of course, why stop for the intervening days, the water throwing continues for all 7 days.

As to the article, that is the National Gov't saying the usual 3 day period will be extended for the rest of the country. I doubt it will have any impact on the usual 2 day period for Pattaya/Naklua which will continue as usual.
Gaybutton

Re: If you dislike Songkran, you're going to HATE this proposal

Post by Gaybutton »

The powers-that-be are hoping a month long celebration of Songkran with all kinds of activities will attract foreign tourists. I hope that works out, but for most foreign tourists who have ever even heard of Songkran in the first place, the very word "Songkran" means water splashing. My guess is many foreign tourists are not even aware that Songkran is a religious holiday. To many, it is simply a crazy, fun, annual water splashing holiday and nothing more.