Trump indicted

Gaybutton

Trump indicted

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm sure that everyone reading this knew about the indictment long before encountering this post. However, those of you who wish to comment, please feel free to do so.

I'll keep my own comments short:

Good! Now maybe some of his supporters will open their eyes. Anyone still think he ought to be elected president again? I doubt that anyone with any intelligence at all needed an indictment to know Trump is nothing but a criminal and always was. Is this who is best for the USA to have for president?
kevin1

Re: Trump indicted

Post by kevin1 »

Most criminals say before they are tried and convicted, " I have done nothing wrong" welcome to the club Mr. Trump.

What Trump is trying to do is divide the US into two camps, "his people" and the rest, he has no interest in serving the overall population of the USA. In fact the only person he has any interest in, is himself. He has absolutely no interest in serving his base either, his only interest in them is that they "serve him".

As far as his base is concerned, I think some are very dangerous and before this is over we'll see some violence.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

kevin1 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:03 pm before this is over we'll see some violence.
I hope it doesn't come to that, but I won't be overly surprised if it does. If there will be violence I think it is most likely to happen if Trump is convicted, especially depending on how harsh the penalties are. Personally I hope he'll have to go to prison just like any other criminal. I fail to see how the fact he is a former president would entitle him to special treatment. He was obviously a criminal before he became president, during his presidency, and after his presidency.

I'm glad I live as far away from that as I can get while still remaining on the planet - and all I have to do is watch the circus. In Thailand I don't have to worry if I go to a grocery store or shopping mall that some gun nut may come in and start shooting. I don't have to wonder if a child goes to school this morning whether he'll survive the day without being shot. I don't have to worry that every violent nut case there is has access to guns and military assault weapons.

He can rant and rave all he wants, but I can't imagine that these indictments would have been brought unless the prosecution has such an ironclad case against him that even his supporters can't deny it.

I also believe Marjorie Taylor Greene doesn't really give a damn about Trump and the only reason she is being so outspokenly supportive is because she hopes he will name her as his vice presidential running mate - which I doubt he will do.

This man is such an obvious criminal who doesn't give the first shit about anybody but himself, and yet he continues to have so much support. Guess what is on my "I Don't Get It" list . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

"Nobody made them do these things, but once they did them, they're fair game."
- Jack Warden (Harry Rosenfeld), 'All the President's Men'
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The 98 page grand jury criminal indictment of Trump, et al, in Georgia came down today. For me, one of the key points is the fact that the president has the authority to pardon federal crimes. One of the controversies is if Trump is elected president again, whether he would have the authority to pardon himself.

But one thing a president cannot do is pardon state crimes. That means if Trump, along with any of the others are convicted, they all, including Trump, could end up in jail.

You might want to take a look at least at the first few pages if you don't want to wade through the entire 98 pages, but the entire indictment is available at the following link, along with which charges each of them, including Trump, will have to face:

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/donald ... indictment
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I think by now everybody knows about the Colorado Supreme Court ruling disqualifying Trump from being on the ballot due to his participation in the January 6 insurrection.

There is, of course, a multitude of ramifications. For me, one of the most interesting is Rachel Maddow's comments, pointing out that according to the US Constitution anyone who participates in an insurrection cannot hold office, but it is a matter for interpretation as to whether he can run for office even if he cannot hold the office if he wins.

She also pointed out that the Republicans might see this as a gateway to ridding themselves of Trump so that he no longer grasps and controls the Republican Party and themselves.

I would imagine this whole thing will end up in the US Supreme Court, but I make no predictions at this point whether they will uphold the Colorado decision and what the ramifications of whatever their ruling will be.

It is hard to deny that Trump participated in, even caused, the insurrection. I know my interpretation which is Trump and anyone else who participated in the insurrection is not allowed to hold office. I hope the US Supreme Court will uphold the Colorado decision rather than twisting the amendment to suit their own personal preferences.

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment says:
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
Here is What Rachel Maddow says about it:

"I'll take a little Republican corruption along with a little Republican freedom, but I won't take the dictatorship of Crassus!"
- Charles Laughton (Gracchus), 'Spartacus' - 1960