Was Dreamboys raided for gambling?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Montree

Was Dreamboys raided for gambling?

Post by Montree »

I’ve seen a short clip from Sophon Cable TV that showed a raid on the Dreamboys Go Go Bar in Pattaya. I couldn’t understand the commentary but one shot zoomed in on three dice in a glass and off people sitting around a table inside the bar. I assuming it was about gambling but I might be wrong. Anybody know anything about it?
Gaybutton

Re: Was Dreamboys raided for gambling?

Post by Gaybutton »

Montree wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:51 am Anybody know anything about it?
Nothing in the local media about it. Do you know when this happened?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Thank you Dodger. I had not spotted this.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Pattaya GoGo Bar Raid Finds Suspected Gamblers and Alleged Illegal Migrant Workers Say Police

By Tanakorn Panyadee

1 November, 2023

Pattaya police raided a male host bar on Soi 13/3 last night, October 31st, and arrested several suspects for allegedly gambling and working without work permits.

The arrest, which took place at 10:06 PM, followed a tip from concerned citizens who reported that the employees of the Dream Boys A Go Go venue were secretly engaging in gambling activities inside the establishment.

Pattaya police arrived at the venue located on Soi 13/3, Nongprue sub-district, Banglamung district, Chonburi province, and discovered three unidentified suspects engaged in a gambling activity. They were using three dice, a cup, and a 1,000 baht banknote for the game, which led to their arrest.

Further inspection by the police also revealed that the host bar had allegedly hired three Cambodian men and seven Laotian men to attend to the customers. However, none of these men possessed required work permits, as stated by the police. Consequently, all of them, along with the three suspected gamblers, were taken to the Pattaya Police Station.

According to reports, the gambling suspects were charged with gambling. The ten migrant workers faced charges for working illegally. The bar operator, who was not immediately identified, on the other hand, was charged for hiring illegal migrant workers and also operating an entertainment venue without the necessary license.

TPN Media notes that the dice game is not illegal in itself and is common in many bars but using it to bet for money is against Thailand’s incredibly strict gambling laws.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/11/01/p ... ay-police/
Montree

Post by Montree »

Thanks for that. Good to get the full story. My Lao friend who first drew my attention to the story was mainly worried about the raid because of the illegal workers as he hoped to be back as a Go Go Boy in December for the High Season.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Montree wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:17 pm he hoped to be back as a Go Go Boy in December for the High Season.
As long as the bar is not raided for some other reason, he will probably be ok. He wouldn't exactly be the only go-go boy working illegally in Thailand.

Most of the time they are either sent back home, which usually is the most serious penalty, or they are fined and released and most of them are right back working in the bars the very next day. However, he could be placed on some kind of shit list and/or have his passport marked so that returning to Thailand is very difficult.

Working illegally in the bars is risky for him, but I guarantee he knows the odds.
pong

Post by pong »

Thats the main reason why the Sapan kwai spa´s here in BKK have these guys ´on call´ and not in the house. I must add I am very well pleased with these guys-the real Lao ones- as all I met have given very good to excellent service and are often fun to be with. They seem to have fewer of the usual Thai hangups.
But just a day or 2 ago-eating at some streetside foodstall in the touristy area here, another surprise: turned out these were also Lao guys(not the usual Khmer who mostly do the low paid jobs for which no Thai can be found anymore) and 1, as I vaguely remembered him, then admitted he had also worked before as such-but prefers the steady fixed low income in stead of you never know when/how many customers would hire you.
Is not that of the most regular PTY news items: raiding up ´illegal´ workers in service/host bars? Or the best regular source of extra income for the BiBs?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:42 am Is not that of the most regular PTY news items: raiding up ´illegal´ workers in service/host bars? Or the best regular source of extra income for the BiBs?
I think probably both. Lately the main reasons for raids have been because bars were open beyond legal hours or drugs and gambling reported. When 'illegal' workers have been arrested, they were not the target of the raid, but ended up as collateral damage.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Ref: "Illegal" workers

It has been reported that foreign staff are not allowed in Sunee gogo bars. Since my last foreign offs from a Sunee gogo bar would be over 10 years ago, I'm inclined to believe that. (I had Lao guys from Euro Boys gogo and Wonderland, or whatever it was called)

They have had foreign staff in Sunee host bars more recently than this, although I've not made enquiries post pandemic.

There are foreign staff in Boyztown gogo bars and of course, many foreign staff in Jomtien.

There are foreign staff in the Pattaya massage shops.

I wouldn't think this is a surprise to Pattaya Police. So I suspect tea money might be a factor. Or, how else would you explain arbitrary differences in policy ?