Cabinet approves 24/7 hours for the bars - but it's not a done deal just yet

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Cabinet approves 24/7 hours for the bars - but it's not a done deal just yet

Post by Gaybutton »

That's what some people are saying. Feel free to add your own opinions.

Reader Talkback Results: Would YOU Support Pattaya Entertainment Venues Being Open 24-Hours a Day?

By Adam Judd

31 August, 2023

Let’s see what you had to say:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=–

Editor-Important to note this doesn’t mean every venue would be open all hours like some think. It would merely mean owners of venues decide based on their own business when they open and close.

-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

Steve C-
Absolutely, let the market decide. Only a few venues will do it.
Me, I’m in bed by 9 or 10 pm nowadays but loved an all-nighter a few years back.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Knut J-Definitely YES. But owners should take a look at the personnel policy. It can quickly become far too many working hours for some of the workers. Yes, it is not difficult to guess that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Pw- I used to love being able to watch the UK sports in I Rovers pre covid they always had staff rotation and were never any trouble.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

PN -This used to be one of the great things about Pattaya when I was younger, we got drunk early, fell asleep, woke up in the night or early morning, and could go straight out and party on

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=–

Rick -Sports bars definitely. American sports are on in the wee hours of the morning.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Michael – Should be allowed to stay open after 2am, as long as the music is turned down, this should suit everyone, customers happy, residents happy and the police can earn a few bht from the noisy bars 5555

-=-=-=-==—=-=-

Seth F-Well as long as they got some sort of sense on where it’s actually suitable to be open 24/7. There are a lot of loud bars and people need to sleep as well. Other than that I’m always open to fewer regulations

-=-=-=—=-=-=-=-=

Erick R-Extending times till 04.00 should be good enough and should be done nationwide

-=-=-=-=-=—

Crank Yank- No, will create more drunks with fights, and major problems will happen.

-=-==-=-=-=-=

Olaf M-Why not? Let the Customers and owners decide. At least open up in Areas where you don’t disturb nearby residents.

-=-=-=-=-=-==-

UF – This matter cannot be decided by the business and market demands and is subject to vote by the local residents.

-=-=-=-=-=-=–=-

Ross M- If you haven’t had enough by 2 am you got issues..

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ryan I – I think should be a nine or ten cutoff and focus on true family-friendly tourism and Islamic tourism. Banning alcohol, cannabis, and cracking down on sex workers is the right way to go. Bulldoze all the bars, clubs, karaokes, and weed shops, and replace them with high-market retail and trendy cafes.

-=–=-=-=-=-=-=-

Kay S- The Government needs to step back out of our lives as much as possible.

-=-=-=-=-=-=–=

Franco B – I agree with a 24-hour opening so it wouldn’t change much for public order and safety…. homicides and serious crimes also take place in broad daylight as we have seen

-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=

Terry Ty- Mixed messages??…………How unusual for the Thai Government. There’s little chance of the media or population predicting anything in the future when the so-called “leaders” don’t know themselves.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scott – Personally, I’m not a fan of the idea. Many bars are close to residential areas, and are noisy. It is good that these areas go quiet at a particular time. Later closing times simply means people will go out later. With such low footfall in most bars right now, this will just spread the drinking over a longer period, further diluting numbers, killing the atmosphere. Bars may save on paying off the authorities, but will have to employ more staff to stay open. Plus more noise from drunken behaviour during anti-social hours and more incidents due to drunken behaviour at busier times of the day. Why fix something when it ain’t broke?

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/08/31/r ... urs-a-day/
Gaybutton

Re: Cabinet approves 24/7 hours for the bars - but it's not a done deal just yet

Post by Gaybutton »

I have mixed feelings about it. In some ways I'm in favor of it and in some ways opposed to it. First, I don't see much of a reason not to allow it because I am among those who doubt many, if any, bars would actually remain open 24/7. But I don't agree with forced closing hours when bars still have enough customers present to remain open. My guess is when most customers have gone, that's when they would close - and that would vary from day to day.

One of the problems is noise from the bars, especially during the hours when most people want to sleep. There would have to be serious and strictly enforced restrictions on that. None of the usual enforce it for 2 or 3 weeks and that's the end of it.

Maybe one compromise could be allowing 24 hour opening times only on designated days - maybe Saturdays only or maybe only during holidays when drinking is permitted - but still with bar noise restrictions.

One thing they could do immediately is get rid of those ridiculous hours when alcohol can be sold. 11:00am – 2:00pm and 5:00pm – midnight. I doubt many people would be opposed to ending that.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

If the bars do stay open after 2:00 AM they'll most likely be catering to a few hard-core alcoholics and Thais who are zooming on yaba, so not sure how many bar owners would want to strain their resources, and their operating budget, to make this happen.

A good name for a boy bar that never closed would be "Sloppy Seconds".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:04 am If the bars do stay open after 2:00 AM they'll most likely be catering to a few hard-core alcoholics and Thais who are zooming on yaba
There is no shortage of valid arguments on both sides of the issue.

"You were both wrong! And you were both right."
- Yul Brynner (Taras), 'Taras Bulba'
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My own opinion is the bars should be allowed to decide for themselves rather than the government deciding for them and forcing their decision on the bars. I think too much government interference and too many regulations, whether it's bar hours or anything else, causes more problems rather than solving them.

I believe when it comes to setting bar hours, the position of the bars ought to be "Hey government - when we want your advice we'll ask for it."

PM not agreeing with opening pubs and bars 24 hours a day

By Pattaya Mail

October 8, 2023

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said the government would review the opening hours of the entertainment venues in a bid to boost tourism and the local economy.

Mr Srettha said the government was considering the options to extend the opening hours for pubs and bars to welcome more tourists. He pointed out that despite having several advantages, the country is still below par in the promotion of tourist attractions and the organization of world-class events.

Mr Srettha mentions about the law amendments to extend the operating hours of the entertainment venues. However, he acknowledges that opening 24 hours a day is not the answer as it can cause social and security problems.

Therefore, it was needed to reconsider if the current closing hour of 1am is enough to make Thailand competitive compared to other cities in order to become the tourism hub of the region.

Mr Srettha said that the idea whether the closing time of the entertainment venues should be extended will be considered and it should be carried out along with improving the taxation system in a bid to make Thailand better.

The premier said he wanted the pros and cons to be raised and the involved parties should have candid talks and recommend constructively.

Meanwhile, the entertainment business operator reacts with optimism. Sanga Ruangwattanakul, president of Khaosan Business Association, said the proposal to extend the closing time for nightspots would be positive for the economy and tourism particularly the international tourists who are returning to the country.

He proposed the addition option that the government should make the events held for festivals permanent events and held annually to create the identity and reminder which can help attract more tourists.

Mr Sanga said he personally believed that the most suitable operating hours of the nightspots, which evaluate from the habits of the night owls, is the opening until 4am.

There are some people are worrying that the longer operating hours will make the drink driving problem getting worse. Mr Sanga says he believed that the problem was not depended on the operating hours as the few hours longer will not have any strong impact. He said it depended on the discipline and responsibility of each person.

As for the public opinion, particularly the people who live near the entertainment venues in Pattaya, mostly believe that the longer operating hours will help stimulate the economy. However, some people are worried about the loud noise and fighting of the drunken revelers. They would like the agencies concerned to plan the response measures. They believe that open until 3-4am is acceptable.

Thanawat Polvichai, rector at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said the longer hours will benefit the economy as the tourism business would be bustled and more employments. The negative issues were the crime but he believed that the authorities can handle them.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... day-442558
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here is the latest on what the powers-that-be have come up with. To me it looks as ridiculous as usual. Again, if they want to extend the bar hours, in my opinion it makes most sense to keep government's nose out of it and let the bars decide for themselves.

And while they're at it, how about getting rid of those absurd daytime hours when alcohol can't be sold.

Ministry seeks venues to open until 4am

October 14, 2023

The Interior Ministry is working with related parties to find suitable locations as pilot areas for the government's plan to allow night entertainment venues to stay open until 4am.

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Thursday that the Interior Ministry is willing to follow the new regulation set by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin that would extend night entertainment venue operating hours from 2am to 4am.

Pilot locations will be revealed after related parties, including the police and entrepreneurs, prepare safety protocols and operating procedures, said Mr Anutin.

When asked how the authorities would ensure tourist safety, Mr Anutin said night entertainment venue operators must strictly screen their customers and cooperate with officers.

Meanwhile, national police chief Pol Gen Torsak Sukvimol said the police are willing to facilitate the new regulation even though finalised details are yet to be released. If the extension of operating hours is endorsed, all venues, both inside and outside the pilot locations, must strictly follow the law, he said.

Sanga Ruangwattanakul, president of the Khao San Road Business Association, said he agrees with the extension for selling alcohol and venue-operating hours. The association will meet next week before submitting an open letter to the PM to end the restriction on alcohol-selling hours and consider reducing the excise tax rate for entrepreneurs from 10% to 3%. As excise tax has already been collected from manufacturers, taxing entrepreneurs is double taxation.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -until-4am
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It looks like those of you who were hoping for extended bar hours are going to get your wish. But remember - just because bars probably will be allowed to remain open until 4:00am doesn't mean that all the bars will choose to do so. I would think it would depend on whether there are enough customers to support remaining open until 4:00am.

Those of you who are concerned about ending up in a hotel room plagued by bar noise, I suggest you be very careful about where you choose to stay. I think you know as well as I do as to how much the bars will give a damn about noise complaints.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thai Cabinet Approves Extended Bar Hours, Official Duration and Areas to Be Announced Tomorrow

By Goongnang Suksawat

24 October, 2023

The Thai Cabinet has approved, in principle, the extension of operating hours for entertainment venues, Karom Phonphonklang, Deputy Spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office, announced on Tuesday, October 24th.

However, the official duration and areas where it will take effect is still waiting for a final decision by the Ministry of Interior, which is set to meet tomorrow, October 25th. The current proposal is to extend the closing hours by 2 hours, shifting from the original 2 AM to 4 AM. The new operating time will likely be applied to areas popular with tourists such as Pattaya and Phuket.

Stay tuned to TPN Media for updates on this story that is very important for many of readers and tourists.

https://tpnnational.com/2023/10/24/thai ... -tomorrow/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thai Ministry of Interior Officially Approves 4 AM Bar Closing Time, Areas Urged to Individually Request Permission

By Tanakorn Panyadee

26 October, 2023

The Thai Ministry of Interior on Wednesday approved the extension of the closing time for nighttime entertainment venues from the original 2 AM to 4 AM.

Traisulee Traisornkul, the ministry’s Secretary-General, announced on October 25th that the Interior Ministry has granted permission to extend the service hours of Thailand’s nightlife until 4 AM. This decision comes after the Cabinet approved on Tuesday a proposal to allow nightlife businesses to operate for an additional two hours in order to stimulate the domestic economy.

Traisulee added that the initiative aims to boost tourism and spending during the high season. Regarding the areas where the extension will be applied, Traisulee stated that all areas with tourism potential are allowed to individually request an extension if they meet the Interior Ministry’s specified conditions, which have yet to be released.

She further mentioned that the ministry did not want to pick the areas themselves to avoid claims of discrimination.

“If any area or province is ready and able to comply with the conditions set by the Ministry of Interior, they can submit a request through the ministry. The Prime Minister will then announce the approved areas based on their readiness,” Ms. Traisulee said.

The exact conditions, however, were not released to the public.

The extension will undergo a final review at the next Cabinet meeting. Subsequently, the Minister of Interior will endorse the initiative before it is published in the Royal Gazette.

Some members of Thai Parliament have urged stricter laws and more study before any extensions take place, however.

https://tpnnational.com/2023/10/26/thai ... ermission/