Unhinged? Nay - not strong enough - more like completely deranged and nuts

Gaybutton

Unhinged? Nay - not strong enough - more like completely deranged and nuts

Post by Gaybutton »

goldcoaster

Re: Unhinged? Nay - not strong enough - more like completely deranged and nuts

Post by goldcoaster »

Here in Australia we get to see a lot of the coverage of American politics, mostly through Foxtel cable. MSNBC and CNN show politics all day long. We are collectively amazed and appalled at the goings on in the U.S. political system. We treasure our Medicare system that offers doctors visits and hospital visits and hospital care at no charge. There is a higher level of care available with private health insurance that allows you to avoid wait times for non critical surgery. We get this through a levy of up to 2% of wages earned (sliding scale in place where higher earners pay the 2%). Medicines are subsidised with a co payment of around AUD $36.00 . Pensioners and unemployed pay around AUD $7.00 per script. We know that most of the civilised countries have a similar system and are dumfounded that the US has not followed suit. I do not presume to lecture anyone on another country's political system but to use a phrase that I see here a lot "I just don't get it".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

goldcoaster wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:08 pm to use a phrase that I see here a lot "I just don't get it".
Now you know some of the main reasons why I moved out of the USA and live in Thailand. I don't like at all what is going on in the USA. I'm glad I live in Thailand, where virtually none of it directly affects me and all I have to do is watch the show.

One question I ask myself - which of the two countries is truly most like third world? And if Trump gets reelected, it will be exponentially worse. One thing is certain - the country I grew up in no longer exists, and hasn't existed for a long time.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:55 pm Now you know some of the main reasons why I moved out of the USA and live in Thailand. I don't like at all what is going on in the USA. I'm glad I live in Thailand, where virtually none of it directly affects me and all I have to do is watch the show.
Moving to Thailand is far easier to justify for those of us who have already accumulated wealth, pensions or whatever it is that funds our lifestyle.
For anyone who is about 20 & needs to earn money, the US, or other Western countries still offer far more opportunity.

Earning money in a high income country and spending it in a middle or low income country works.

Admittedly, there is a problem with poor quality leadership in the US and other countries.
Trump is one of the worst examples, but stupidity is widespread.

I could quote many examples, but will use just one here. Certain European politicians & countries pushing for a 100% renewable electricity generation system. However, we know damn well that both wind and solar are not 24-7 & those who are pushing to go 100% renewable have no detailed plan to cover the intermittency. Meanwhile, China is building a large number of coal fired power stations every year. Guess where the industry goes to ?