La Table de Tee in Bangkok

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
fountainhall

La Table de Tee in Bangkok

Post by fountainhall »

In a thread about Silom Soi 4, I mentioned the restaurant La Table de Tee. This deserves an extra plug for it is really quite excellent and a great place to take friends or boyfriends if they are not exclusively wedded to Thai food.

Khun Tee who is the main chef worked in London at a Michelin-star restaurant in trendy Sloane Square. He met Khun An who was then working in a Thai restaurant there. Although Tee was still in his mid-20s, they decided to return to Bangkok and open a restaurant. La Table de Tee is small and can be found in a small alley off Soi Saladaeng. Coming from Silom it is about 200 meters along on the left side - past Zanotti's and the open market. If you reach Saladaeng Soi 1 you have passed it!

It is an intimate little restaurant with seating for about 20. The cuisine is basically French but with Asian influences. The simple set menu contains five courses with the first two offering no choice but there being two or three choices for the remaining three. All use the freshest ingredients. Portions are slightly larger standard nouvelle cuisine servings, but I have never left feeling peckish! Wines served by the glass are generous. My one disappointment is that the wine list is small, inexpensive and not adventurous. Not that this deters diners.

The restaurant is only open for dinner and is often booked up solidly at weekends and so phoning for a reservation is advised. Dinner is Bt. 1,350 per person + 10% service charge but not including wine. Not inexpensive but very good value for the quality fo the cuisine. 629 reviews on Tripadvisor give it 4.5 stars out of 5. Typical headlines include "Fine dining at great value", "Unexpected and amazing" and "As awesome as ever".

http://www.latabledetee.com
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ngkok.html
Gaybutton

Re: La Table de Tee in Bangkok

Post by Gaybutton »

See also Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/La+Ta ... 00.5371976

I notice there are also a few other restaurants with excellent reputations in the vicinity, such as Eat Me, Brasserie 9, Bitterman, Zanotti, etc.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Zanotti is probably the best Italian restaurant in town, and thus the most expensive. It has a lovely atmosphere but the quality of the service dropped a lot about 7 or 8 years ago and i have not been back since.

Much better value is the excellent Il Bolognese off Sathorn Soi 7 before you come to Narrathiwat. The owner is Italian and provides genuine Italian cuisine in a lovely setting and a much more affordable price.

http://www.ilbolognesebangkok.com

I have dined at Eat Me many times over the last 15 years and raved about it. I have always loved the restaurant, the food and the great staff. Darren the Australian owner runs it extremely well. But I had dinner there with friends a fortnight ago and it has recently become very pricey. We also felt that the newish chef is not as good as the one who left (for reasons I do not know). Dinner for 5 with only one bottle of wine and some soft drinks came to almost Bt. 12,000.

Never been at the others.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Much better value is the excellent Il Bolognese off Sathorn Soi 7 before you come to Narrathiwat. The owner is Italian and provides genuine Italian cuisine in a lovely setting and a much more affordable price.
That sounds definitely like one to try, which I'll probably do next time I'm in Bangkok.

While we're at it, how about Chinese restaurants. Do you have any recommendations?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:how about Chinese restaurants. Do you have any recommendations?
I am sure there must be many excellent ones but I have hardly ever eaten Chinese in Bangkok. Because I am so regularly in Hong Kong or Taipei, I get my fill of excellent Chinese cuisine there.Several top hotels have first rate Chinese restaurants, but you need a good credit card to pay the bill!

There is one very busy Chinese restaurant I have enjoyed several times. It is located on the corner of Chongnonsi as you turn left into Suriwing. Inexpensive, the dishes are genuine Chinese and it is always bustling with customers, a sure sign that the cuisine is good. But I just cannot remember the name! Next time I am in that area I will check it out and post it.