Arepa Venezuelan Street Kitchen Pattaya

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Re: Arepa Venezuelan Street Kitchen Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

This evening several of us, including richsilver, did try it and we all liked it.

I really had no idea what Venezuelan food is like. It turns out to be similar in many ways to Mexican food, but with its own uniqueness. The owner speaks English and, of course, Spanish. He is very amiable and quite accommodating.

I had, at the owner's recommendation, the pulled pork served taco style in soft cornbread. It was very different. Diced vegetables and black beans are mixed in and it is served with a twin container, one side a mild hot sauce and the other sour cream, both of which will be replenished upon request.

The owner does the cooking himself and his "gluten-free" cornbread is very good. I certainly liked it. And if you want to buy cornmeal, he has bags of imported Venezuelan cornmeal and will happily sell it.

The portions are very large. The owner said he is going to add additional items to the menu, but since he just recently opened, additional items will come a little later.

No complaints about the prices. My dinner, including water, came to 220 baht.

We will definitely be gong back. I certainly recommend giving it a try.
LaongsBistro

Post by LaongsBistro »

They are getting some rave reviews, none less complimentary than that by the admin of the Breakfast Club Pattaya Facebook group who declares he will be back. I'll be trying them out on Sunday. It's a while since I had anything from South America, including food.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

We had dinner there tonight. We shared beef nachos. Wichan had a burrito and I had 3 shrimp tacos. We both had water to drink and total bill was 660 THB. Reasonable price for good food and generous portions. Definitely a keeper.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote:I had, at the owner's recommendation, the pulled pork served taco style in soft cornbread. .
"However, when I try this restaurant I doubt I would be ordering cornbread in the first place". Gaybutton quote.
You just never know! :lol:

I plan to check it out tonight, maybe even the corn bread.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:You just never know! :lol:
When I wrote that I must have had my fingers crossed . . .

I hope you like it as much as we did.
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

The opening post mentions a Pattaya foodies Facebook page ... would you please tell me what is that full name of that page ... I would like to join .... thanks.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Dale1 wrote:The opening post mentions a Pattaya foodies Facebook page ... would you please tell me what is that full name of that page ... I would like to join .... thanks.
Hello Dale,

I have put your email address in as an invite for new members. So you should be receiving the invite soon.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

My dining companion and I ate at Arepa last evening. Good food and inexpensive and large portions. We did share the ceviche starter which was a waste of money, 200 Baht, since it was lacking in quality and quantity compared to Peruvian ceviche. Our main course was a type of quesadilla with pulled pork, quite tasty and filling at 200 Baht. In fact almost everything on the menu was 200 Baht. Likely to return. It was a bit noisy with a group of farang men and Thai ladies nearby speaking, what I thought was Russian, but turned out it was English.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

We ate there tonight for the second time and were very pleased with the food and prices. It's a keeper.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Thaivisa.com post reports they are Out of Business (sign out front). It's too bad, there food was different and very good, will miss the place.