Amber

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Amber

Post by Gaybutton »

Last evening six of us tried the Amber restaurant, which took over the location for the now closed Blue Olive restaurant. See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8753

The restaurant has been completely renovated and quite an inviting atmosphere.

The food is superb. I tried the oxtail soup for my starter. Incredibly good. My main course was the beef cheeks. I had never heard of that before, but the owner highly recommended it. 4 of us ordered it and it was absolutely delicious. It was so tender that, with no exaggeration, you don't even need a knife. All of us loved it and I will certainly be ordering it again.

Those of you who enjoy wine, there is an extensive wine selection.

First you are served a bread basket with butter and their own house spread. Try the spread. Then we were served a Portobello mushroom stuffed with hot, melted cheese.

There is a set menu and an a la carte menu.

The prices are quite reasonable too.

The manager is a very personable, handsome, young German man - Stefan. His English is fluent and he is very attentive. Two in our group ordered Gazpacho for their starter. A few minutes later Stefan came to our table and suggested they order something else. He said the Gazpacho is just not up to his standards tonight and he does not want to serve anything that came out sub-standard. When was the last time you saw a restaurant manager do that?

I highly recommend giving Amber a try. All six of us will definitely be back. I recommend making a booking. By the time we were finished, most of the tables, including the outside tables, were occupied.

You can call Stefan at: 090 770 9994

Restaurant telephone number: 038 416 285

Amber is closed Mondays.
richsilver

Re: Amber

Post by richsilver »

Yes, I've been there twice and enjoyed it very much.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I was there with friends a few nights ago. Positives were the ambiance and new decor. Good service, linens, etc. The menu is short, two pieces of paper. Unbeknownst to me, the steaks were on a side wall chalk board (a friend spoke up). There are three different price groupings all moderate. I ordered a steak. Not sure if still get their meat from AKA but the tenderloin was slightly over cooked and good but not exceptional. Talking to a friend afterwards, we preferred the Blue Olive of years ago, not sure if we will go back. I wish this new restaurant success but I have doubts, there were five diners on the night when I was there and three were in my party.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:I wish this new restaurant success but I have doubts
I don't. They're getting a good number of customers.

I have a feeling maybe you and your group were there too soon after they first opened - before they got the kinks worked out.

We were there again last night and we enjoyed it just as much as the first time. My group and I intend to be regulars.

I suggest giving it another try.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Another visit to the Amber on Friday night. I had the ribeye with mashed potatoes which I enjoyed. A friend had the ribeye with roast potatoes which he did not enjoy. Another had veal which he liked although chewy. A fourth loved his tappas and soup. And lastly, another friend called the Norwegian salmon excellent. Overall a somewhat mixed review, although I will definitely return. There were five tables occupied which is a good sign. I personally like this restaurant and hope it succeeds.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I and a friend tried it last night. We both enjoyed our food and the ambiance. Stefan, the onsite manager, was very helpful (he even remembered us from when he worked at the News Cafe). We did make a booking, but on Wednesday at 7pm it was apparently not needed as there were only a few other customers. But, based on our experience, we expect that their clientele will grow.

My biggest problem was what to choose as there were many items of interest, not including the steaks, which are listed on the blackboard. I decided on two starters, the gazpacho soup and snow crab claws. My main was the Pork Belly. The gazpacho was acceptable but the other two dishes were very good. My friend also had two starters, the Oxtail soup and the goose foie gras and for his main dish, the halibut. He did indicate a little disappointment with the foie gras as it was not a hot dish as he expected, but was still good. He said his soup and main were excellent.

We will certainly be back. Stefan said they are still tweaking the menu and adding more items. They also have a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AmberPattaya-348139135639702/ - although they have a domain name for a website, it has yet to be developed.