culinary delights of Jomtien

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Joachim

culinary delights of Jomtien

Post by Joachim »

I do not think I say anything new here. I went to Laong bistro and Back fabrik and Australian ststeak with roasted potato (Laong) was excellent. The rye bread in Back Fabrik is fantastic (in the league of its own) and eclairs were melting in my mouth reminding the sweet taste of childhood I thought could not have been reproduced. Both places deserve full support by both expats and visitors. Let me mention small ethnic eatery within walking distance from places mentioned above. Ukraine in soi Wat boon. The food from there is available through door to door service. The place provides home made Ukranian style food but also zefir (Russian style marsh mellow) and salo (Ukranian style bacon). Unfortunately, salo is not from Ukraine but locally produced and processed in a special way by two Russian women from Ukraine who manage the place. Zefir is of good quality and is not available anywhere else in Pattaya (and perhaps in Thailand).
2lz2p

Re: culinary delights of Jomtien

Post by 2lz2p »

Let me mention small ethnic eatery within walking distance from places mentioned above. Ukraine in soi Wat boon. The food from there is available through door to door service. The place provides home made Ukranian style food but also zefir (Russian style marsh mellow) and salo (Ukranian style bacon).
I have not been in the place, but have ordered many times for delivery (foodpanda/door2door) - I usually order every time: stuffed pepper (bell pepper stuffed with ground meat that is similar to meat ball/meat loaf), potato pancakes (four good size cakes with sour cream - I eat two and save the other two to have with another meal), and braised cabbage (also large enough quantity to eat half and save to go with another meal). Since I prefer apple sauce on my potato pancakes, I usually have that instead (have some in the fridge). Stuffed bell pepper was something my mother used to serve at home and at her restaurant (blue plate special place - so on the periodically on the daily menu), which Ukraine's is very similar. On Saturdays, Iss Was German restaurant has potato pancakes (3 large cakes) with apple sauce - I like both Ukraine's and Is Wass's potato pancakes, but tend to like those at Iss Was a bit better.

I agree with the comment about the bread at Back Fabrik - I have at times when stopping in for breakfast, picked up a loaf of the rye to take home - they will slice it for you if asked. I do recommend their breakfasts if you want something a bit different and want to try their breads, most dishes are served with a basket of different breads - many are served on two plates - eggs, etc on one and sliced cold cuts on the other. They are large, so be hungry. I also like their coffee and usually buy a bag of the dark roast (they will grind the beans for you). During the day, they make several different kind of sandwiches on french style loafs, which are also quite good. In addition to their pastries, they also have other items available to purchase and take home, e.g., German style meats and already cooked meat balls. They open early (around 6am as I recall, but they also close early at 6pm).

But as mentioned in the "breakfast" thread, I usually go to Laong's Bistro as first choice for breakfast and enjoy a cup or two of their cappuccino caramel (I think I have become addicted ;) ) unless I am out and about before they open at 9am.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Just an update - I needed to be out and about early this morning so I decided to have breakfast at Back Fabrik (and pick up some ground coffee to take home). I had not been in there for sometime, so discovered they now have a fairly large menu - not only breakfasts & baguettes, but also several German dishes (e.g., schnitzels - potato pancakes w/apple sauce).

So, someday when I'm out and about at lunchtime, I will have to stop by and try out their other dishes.
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

Obviously, I totally agree with 2lz2p. What is so special about Back Fabrik sandwiches? Apart, from the locally made baguette, all other ingredients are easily available.
The problem with sandwiches (not only in Thailand but elsewhere in Asia) is that usually very strong sauces or mustard is added and killed the flavor of other ingredients. I recall that recently just in downtown Tokyo in Delucca cafe all sandwiches ,produced from excellent local ingredients (with Italian cheese and ham) were totally spoiled by enormous amount of mustard. I was on the verge of nervous breakdown when they refused to remove mustard from any type of their sandwiches! Not so in Back Fabrik. Truly European-style sandwiches!