El Greco - Greek and Mediterranean Restaurant

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

El Greco - Greek and Mediterranean Restaurant

Post by Gaybutton »

I always love it when we find a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that we really enjoy. If you like Greek food, give El Greco a try. We certainly will be going back - many times. The restaurant has been there three years.

Last night 4 of us tried El Greco. The owner is a very personable gentleman named Nick. "Nick the Greek." I like that. His English is fluent - with a pleasant Greek accent. I don't know much Greek, but if you want to say 'thank you' in Greek, it's "eff-hari-STOH," emphasis on the last syllable.

The prices are very reasonable and the portions are enormous, and I mean enormous. I definitely over-ordered, thinking it was going to be relatively small portions. I started with the small Greek salad. The small Greek salad was a BIG Greek salad, and it was exactly how I like it.

I also ordered the souvlaki. I thought it was going to be like a small Doner kebob. Believe me, it is huge. A meal in itself. I also had ordered the small size meatballs. No way I could even touch it. I had to have them wrap it up to take it home.

However, I did save room to try the baklava dessert. All I can say is wow! I've had baklava many times over the years, but El Greco's is the best I've ever had. Again, a large portion - served warm with a scoop of ice cream. The flavor is fantastic and the crust is a perfect flaky filo dough crust. If you have nothing else at El Greco, don't miss the baklava.

When I first contacted Nick to book a table, he told me if we want to order in advance, he will have everything ready when we arrive. Now I understand why he said that. He makes everything fresh - nothing out of a can. Nothing made yesterday and served today.

It takes a very long time for your order to be served if you order in the restaurant. As I said, he prepares everything fresh. If you order in the restaurant, be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes to an hour before your dinner is served. If you want to try El Greco, I urge you to call Nick in advance, place your order, and tell him what day and what time you'll be there. And please - if you have to cancel, give him a call and let him know, so that he doesn't end up preparing food, only to have you not show up.

Also, Nick says if you want something special that is not listed on the menu, let him know. If it is something he can prepare, he will be happy to make it for you.

The menu, along with everything else you need to know, including contact information, is on his web site. See: http://elgreco-pattaya.com

He does have additional items on the restaurant menu that are not listed on the web site. Nick says he is updating his web site soon. The full menu, with photos, is on the Door-2-Door site. See: http://www.door2doorpattaya.com/restaur ... co-pattaya

He will also deliver locally.

My bill - with the Greek salad, the souvlaki, the meatballs, the baklava, and water came to 470 baht.

As you can see, there are several ways to get there. For most of you, probably the easiest way is to go to Pattaya Tai, Soi 16, and the road takes you right to it. The sign is well lit. You won't miss it. If you don't have your own transportation, you'll probably have to get there by motorbike taxi. I would suggest having the taxi driver call the restaurant. He does have Thai staff and they can explain to the driver exactly how to get there.

GPS Coordinates are: N 12° 55' 35", E 100° 53' 22"
Gaybutton

Re: El Greco - Greek and Mediterranean Restaurant

Post by Gaybutton »

I forgot to mention - El Greco is open from 1pm to midnight.
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

I love Greek food ..... but, gads, whatever happened to LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

We ate there a couple of times, the food was excellent, but the service was very slow. Has it improved?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:the food was excellent, but the service was very slow. Has it improved?
As I said in the OP, count on a very long wait for your food to arrive - a good 30 minutes to an hour - even soups and salads.

The thing to do is call Nick in advance, place your order, and tell him what day and time you're coming. That way he will have the food ready for you when you arrive.

Dale1 wrote:whatever happened to LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!
One thing I've learned over the years living here - if a restaurant is really good, people get there no matter where it is. Au Bon Coin is a perfect example of that. A difficult, off the beaten path location, nowhere near a baht bus route, but just try to get in without having booked a table.

El Greco is doing fine right where he is. He's been there three years, so it seems to me he's getting plenty of customers. Several tables were occupied while we were there.

As I said in the OP, it's easy to get to if you have your own transportation, are willing to take a motorbike taxi, or maybe even actually open your wallet and spring for a taxi.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Is there close parking available? I have ordered Door2Door (Foodpanda) delivery from El Greco many times. Usually the Mousaka and Greek Salad along with Souvlaki - portions are large and, I agree, the food is very good - and no, I don't eat all that in one sitting - usually the Mousaka for my evening meal and the Souvlaki for the next day. This month, if ordering from Foodpanda website, it is free delivery for orders of 200+baht. You still get the Door2Door 10% service charge added.

Another Greek restaurant I would like to try is Pattayanis - it is more pricey than El Greco, but friends of mine say the food is excellent - their website menu shows they have an interesting selection of Greek food - their website is: http://pattayanis.com/index.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:Another Greek restaurant I would like to try is Pattayanis
It used to be called Pattayanis-Greeklicious. Now it's just Pattayanis.

I've eaten there before and I too think it is very good. It's hard to decide between Pattayanis and El Greco. No long wait times at Pattayanis, but I think the food is much better quality at El Greco.

I posted a review of Pattayanis a few years ago. See: http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4866