Burgers @ Pastrami on Rye

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Trongpai

Re: Burgers @ Pastrami on Rye

Post by Trongpai »

Gaybutton wrote: Pastrami on Rye is no Carnegie Deli or Rascal House, but in Pattaya, perhaps all of Thailand, it's the best we have.
I agree with that but here in Bangkok is a new American style restaurant called Hemingway's.

http://www.hemingwaysbangkok.com/

Easy to get to: BTS Asoke and you can see it from the platform. I've been twice on weekdays and both times it was totally packed with customers with many waiting and it's a big place. They take bookings. It's a huge gaggle of what appears to be every American that's in Bangkok with a smattering of young Europeans and Brits. Few if any Thais or Asians.

First time I had the Reuben at Hemingway's and compared to 'Pastrami on Rye' I have to give a slight edge to the latter but that's my taste. Hemingway's has items that PoR does not so there's no way to compare.

Second time, I went with several of their appetizers and all were good but the volume of noise from a really packed house was uncomfortable.
For me it's good (OK) but given the numbers that are there any given night others must find it exceptional.

I have not tried Hemingway's burger yet but it looks big and juicy.

Overall I give PoR the edge for food overall but they sure don't have the following that Hemingway's has. Food delivery motorbikes line up with constant orders going out. Hemingway though wins for ambiance.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

New York Deli Delivery Bangkok:
Order Online from New York! New York! Sukhumvit Soi 65 (Delivery Only) | Ginja Thaila
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Photos look good but unfortunately I live outside the delivery area. There's been quite a few places using NYC in their name over the years in Bangkok and most have/had nothing remotely close to real NYC deli food.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Trongpai wrote:Photos look good but unfortunately I live outside the delivery area.
Well, that's a bummer. I'm outside their delivery area, too. Doesn't go much past Punnawithi station.

It gets worse. On their Facebook page, they made two comments during the month of September amid other confusion about Ginja.

9/24: "Hi fans, we will be closed today at Park Ventures. Staff sick and don't have back-up. Please accept our apologies."

9/17: "We are out of Pastrami and Corned Beef until October 1st. Our cycle time to make these meats runs approx. 20-30 days. Please accept our apologies."

https://www.facebook.com/NewYorkDeliBangkok/

When I clicked the Ginja link I got a 404 message. Hmmm . . .

https://ginja.co.th/yn

Tsk, tsk. This is Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:When I clicked the Ginja link I got a 404 message. Hmmm . . .
Try this link:

http://ginja.co.th/en/bangkok/restaurants

When I looked at the restaurant list I saw Sunrise Tacos. Apparently they're doing well in Bangkok, but it utterly failed in Pattaya. I remember everybody was all excited when it first opened in Pattaya and for awhile you were lucky to get in. Within a few months it fizzled out and finally closed.

Another restaurant, not on the list was Chez Vicki. In Bangkok it was called Vicki L'amour and was located on Soi Ngam Duplii, between the Pinnacle Hotel and the Malaysia Hotel. It was doing fine in Bangkok. Then they closed the restaurant in Bangkok and opened in Pattaya, just off Soi Day-Night. It too did fine for awhile, but eventually closed.

I wonder why some restaurants do fine in Bangkok, then open in Pattaya, and before too long they're out of business.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

There used to be a Wolfie's Deli not far off the beach in Fort Lauderdale years ago. Doubt it's still there.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

thaiworthy wrote:Having never been to Patrami on Rye, I don't know about their hamburger buns. Although, rye bread is actually a healthier food than wheat or barley. It is a superior grain in terms of weight loss efforts. The type of fiber in rye is somewhat unique, in that it is extremely binding with water molecules, meaning that it makes you feel full very quickly. This place might be something to try the next time I am in Pattaya. They have a very good web site. TripAdvisor rates it #28 of 773 Restaurants in Pattaya. Their prices seem reasonable, too.

http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/our-story

Twenty years ago, a pastrami on rye at Carnegie deli in NY cost $20. Today, they are still $20. Sadly, I might also mention that this world-famous landmark on 7th Ave since 1937, is closing on December 31, 2016.
Just a note, the name Pastrami on Rye is the restaurant's name only and rye bread or bun is not used for their burgers, they use a traditional hamburger bun. The beef is a pre-cooked, imported frozen patty and as noted it will be cooked well done. Despite the limitations it is one of the better burgers in Jomtien.