Burgers @ Pastrami on Rye

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Undaunted

Burgers @ Pastrami on Rye

Post by Undaunted »

Recently I went to Pastrami on Rye not for their Pastrami but ordered a bacon chedder barbeque burger....Wow it was beautiful...big...nice bun...cheezy..nice barbeque sauce, came with fries......ony drawback was they only serve them well done......could be the best burger I've had in Pattaya.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
RichLB

Re: Burgers @ Pastrami on Rye

Post by RichLB »

You're right about the tastiness of Pastrami on Rye's hamburgers. However, if you order one from there I advise making sure the cook toasts the inside of the bun. Not doing that almost guarantees that the bun will disintegrate half way through eating it.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

RichLB wrote:You're right about the tastiness of Pastrami on Rye's hamburgers. However, if you order one from there I advise making sure the cook toasts the inside of the bun. Not doing that almost guarantees that the bun will disintegrate half way through eating it.
You obviously a Bun man :D ..... Bun was not toasted and did not "disintegrate".
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

RichLB wrote:However, if you order one from there I advise making sure the cook toasts the inside of the bun. Not doing that almost guarantees that the bun will disintegrate half way through eating it.
Undaunted wrote:..... Bun was not toasted and did not "disintegrate".
Maybe there are a few Brit experts on the subject of rye bread, but not being amongst their number I was felt obliged to check out the Wiki entry for same which left me, much as I'd like to think I now know more than I did before, none the wiser, so my inclination is to assume that as this place is called Pastrami on Rye, the bun had to have some rye in it, and therefore depending on the rye content and plus or minus other ingredients may or may not be prone to disintegrating half way through should the chef have decided not to toast its inner surface.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Having never been to Patrami on Rye, I don't know about their hamburger buns. Although, rye bread is actually a healthier food than wheat or barley. It is a superior grain in terms of weight loss efforts. The type of fiber in rye is somewhat unique, in that it is extremely binding with water molecules, meaning that it makes you feel full very quickly. This place might be something to try the next time I am in Pattaya. They have a very good web site. TripAdvisor rates it #28 of 773 Restaurants in Pattaya. Their prices seem reasonable, too.

http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/our-story

Twenty years ago, a pastrami on rye at Carnegie deli in NY cost $20. Today, they are still $20. Sadly, I might also mention that this world-famous landmark on 7th Ave since 1937, is closing on December 31, 2016.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:Sadly, I might also mention that this world-famous landmark on 7th Ave since 1937, is closing on December 31, 2016.
A little bit off topic, but do you know why they're closing?

The last time I ate at Carnegie Deli must be 25 years ago by now. One of the things that made it famous was comedian Henny Youngman used to eat there regularly.

While I was there, damned if he didn't come in. Everybody stopped eating, applauded, and he gave us all his most well known one-liner - "Take my wife . . . please." Everyone laughed and Mr. Youngman proceeded to his table and had a corned beef sandwich.

Another one of his jokes I remember for some reason - "My friend was a black belt karate expert. He joined the army. First time he saluted he killed himself."
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Gaybutton wrote:While I was there, damned if he didn't come in. Everybody stopped eating, applauded, and he gave us all his most well known one-liner - "Take my wife . . . please." Everyone laughed and Mr. Youngman proceeded to his table and had a corned beef sandwich.
Great story. Worth the diversion. Here is the text to the Forbes article:

"You know it from Woody Allen movies, cab rides speeding down Seventh Avenue, and possibly your first trip to New York. Soon, the Carnegie Deli will be no more.

Its owner, Marian Harper Levine, has decided to close up shop at the end of the year, after some rough times including a nasty divorce, lawsuits and an entanglement with Con Edison over an illegal gas connection.

News of her decision has reverberated throughout the restaurant business, and among others far from the deli’s location on Manhattan’s west side. Carnegie Deli’s demise isn’t just another New York landmark shutting down. It’s the end of an era in American dining.

A well-known name and nostalgic food aren’t enough to keep a place going on forever, even with tourists as a customer base. As cities change, the restaurants that reflect their character have to change, too, or they’ll fade into memory.

It’s no longer sufficient to be famous from a movie, or draw patrons because their grandfathers ate there. Many visitors are more excited by seeing a television chef, while some want the assurance that $20 plus spent on lunch buys the approval of other foodies, not only the celebrities whose photos are on the wall.

To me, Carnegie Deli always seemed like it ought to exist in black and white, as it does in Allen’s “Broadway Danny Rose,” the story of a hapless talent agent."

--

Then there's this little bit of high drama, which occurred earlier last year:

"Trouble persists for New York’s fabled Carnegie Deli: To recap, Con Edison shut it down after discovering an “illegal gas connection” in April, while owner Marian Harper Levine and her manager and husband, Sandy, remained entangled in bitter divorce proceedings because he cheated on her with a waitress. There’s no clear reopening date, and as ConEd waits for city approval, one major question remains: What responsibility does a closed restaurant have for its employees?

Carnegie’s 70-ish workers are about to run out of unemployment insurance, and, to make matters worse, servers say the deli is still making money through its wholesale business. As one waitress tells the Post: “If you have a restaurant that makes the money that that restaurant makes, you should have people working there 24 hours a day fixing it, but they don’t.” But what do you expect from a business that recently paid $2.65 million in a settlement over wage theft?"

http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/11/carne ... drama.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm sorry Carnegie Deli is going to end. In Miami, some may be familiar with the Rascal House. That was Miami's answer to Carnegie Deli. It too closed several years ago. As far as I know, nothing even close ever replaced it.

Pastrami on Rye is no Carnegie Deli or Rascal House, but in Pattaya, perhaps all of Thailand, it's the best we have.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I believe the rascal house was also known as Wolfie's.......Old ladies were known to take home their rolls that were servred with their food, also packs of Sweet & Low.