Corned Beef Hash

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Corned Beef Hash

Post by Gaybutton »

That's something else I miss from the USA - corned beef hash. Maybe it's a sacrilege but I like the canned corned beef hash, especially the Libby's and Mary Kitchen brands, much better than any home made recipe I've ever tried - and I've tried a lot of them. So far none of them are even close to what I like.

We waited a hell of a long time for good hot dogs to come to Thailand and they finally arrived. But so far, no corned beef hash at all.

If anyone knows where either of those can be found in Thailand, please post. Even Villa Market, at least the one in Pattaya, doesn't carry either of those brands. They don't carry any at all.
lvdkeyes

Re: Corned Beef Hash

Post by lvdkeyes »

I prefer Hormel, but haven't been able to find it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I prefer Hormel, but haven't been able to find it.
Actually, Mary Kitchen is made by Hormel.

However, no canned corned beef hash at all in Thailand that I can find. There is canned corned beef, which I don't like at all, but it's not corned beef hash.

Corned beef hash and American style egg fu yung are the only two food items I can think of - that I want - but can't find in Thailand. At least with the egg fu yung I can make it myself, although it never comes out quite the way I want it to. But no corned beef hash.

There is none in Pattaya's Villa Market, but there are several Villa Markets in Bangkok. Maybe one of them carries it. If anyone in Bangkok happens to spot it in any of them, or anywhere else, please post.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

The Villa markets in Bangkok "generally" carry 'Princes' brand corned beef. It's a UK import but on the back of the can it says"'Product of Brazil". It's in a rectangular tin container you open with a key that's provided. There's two sizes of tin containers.

There's a lot of Villa Markets in Bangkok and not all of them will carry this item. I do, however, find it most often (last being a few weeks ago) at the Villa located at Sukhumvit/33 (Prongpong). If not there then the next place I would look is the Villa on Suk. 11, (Nana).

It's not corned beef hash but ground up corned beef and making it hash is quick and simple. I find it comprable to Libby's brand corned beef hash in the can.

I find it satisfactory for hash but not for sandwiches. I finally chop up very small cubes of potatoes and onions, par boil, then add to the corned beef. I also add some black pepper and thyme (optional) and no salt, there's enough in the corned beef (too much). Mix it all together and add a egg white as a binder and then let it set up. Then fry until browned. I use a flat pan and make a patty and flatten it out so the edges are thin and crispy.

Speaking of Villa Markets I noticed a new one in of all places, Udon Thani, last month.