Kung and Pinky

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Kung and Pinky

Post by Gaybutton »

Kung and Pinky is another "The Dark Side" small mom & pop restaurant, reviewed in the Pattaya Mail: http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/ku ... inky-49816

Last night a Thai friend and I gave it a try. It was, in my opinion, exactly as the Pattaya Mail review said it is. It's nice, but nothing worth a special trip. I would rate it mediocre to fairly good. My Thai friend had their Tom Yung Kung. He liked it and they did make it just to the spiciness level he asked for. I asked if they can make it non-spicy and the answer was yes, although I didn't try it. It's a large portion, served with a very generous portion of steamed white rice. He couldn't finish it.

I had their fish and chips. I thought it was ok, but again nothing special - much more breading than fish, still a bit greasy, and the fish itself was mushy, but at least it was served piping hot. It was served with fresh peas and French fries. I did like that they serve it with tartar sauce on the side and a wedge of lime. Also, malt vinegar is in their condiments basket. Ketchup is on the table.

My favorite places in Pattaya for fish and chips are still Village Chippy and Golden Friar. I've never found fish and chips I like any better.

The restaurant is inexpensive. The bill, including water, came to 409 baht for the two of us.

For that type of restaurant on "The Dark Side," in my opinion the best I've found is Sami's (see: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5974 ). Both my Thai friend and I prefer Sami's over every Thai run hole-in-the-wall restaurant we've tried on "The Dark Side." Kung and Pinky's is a restaurant I would go to if I'm looking for that type of restaurant, but Sami's is full (which it very often is).

I still recommend Sami's. I recommend Kung and Pinky's if you happen to be in the neighborhood. And that's how I would describe Kung and Pinky - a nice little neighborhood restaurant.

It's not difficult to find. From Sukhumvit go up Soi Siam Country Club past the railroad bypass road and keep going about 3km until you come to the traffic signal. Continue up Soi Siam Country Club and look for Soi 19 on the left. Just beyond that, you'll see the sign for Kung and Pinky on the right. Turn right and you'll find yourself on a very narrow rural soi. Just a short way down the soi you'll see another Kung and Pinky sign. Turn left. You'll easily spot Kung and Pinky on the left. Parking is no problem.

GPS coordinates are: N 12° 55' 45", E 100° 56' 40".
lvdkeyes

Re: Kung and Pinky

Post by lvdkeyes »

Have you tried the fish and chips at Curry & Chips? For my money they have the best fish and chips and onion rings.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Have you tried the fish and chips at Curry & Chips?
No, I haven't. If you're recommending it, I know I'm going to like it. The idea of good onion rings alone will get me there.

I think I've seen it. Is it on Thepprasit, right near Sukhumvit?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

No, that location is closed. They are on Pratumnak before you get to O'Gara's. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.