Pastrami on Rye joins Eat I Go

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Undaunted

Re: Pastrami on Rye joins Eat I Go

Post by Undaunted »

I've noted I don't care for their pastrami however, a friend asked me to join him there for breakfast today and it was quite good...American breakfast juice, eggs, sausage patties and bacon choice of bread includes coffee or tea...165bht.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I'm no expert on pastrami, but Rich Man Poor Man offers a pastrami sandwich. I doubt it is anything like what is available in New York, but it's really tasty.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I have had my worst meal ever in RMPM. Never going back.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I have had my worst meal ever in RMPM. Never going back.
Aren't you going to tell us what happened?

I'm surprised by what you said. Rich Man-Poor Man is one of my favorite restaurants. I eat there regularly, usually with RichLB. I've never had anything but dinners, and occasional breakfasts, that weren't exactly what I like, along with excellent service and very reasonable prices.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Undaunted wrote:I've noted I don't care for their pastrami however, a friend asked me to join him there for breakfast today and it was quite good...American breakfast juice, eggs, sausage patties and bacon choice of bread includes coffee or tea...165bht.
IMO one of the best places for breakfast - I'm partial to either their pancake breakfast or their biscuits & sausage gravy (something I grew up on). My bf really likes their American Breakfast. Another thing I like is that you can order additional items as sides, e.g., eggs & sausage patties.

A cup of coffee comes with the breakfast sets - in most places I never order a second cup because of the price - at PonR, I almost always order a 2nd cup - again, IMO it is excellent.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Gaybutton wrote:Aren't you going to tell us what happened?
My bf and I had breakfast there, eggs Benedict. The Hollandaise wasn't good at all. My bf asked the waitress how they made it. She said, "Knorr powder". Why would a restaurant use a powdered mix for Hollandaise when it is so easy to make using an immersion blender?

A couple of years ago, because of people raving about how good their thanksgiving dinner was at RMPM,four of us decided to have Christmas dinner there. None of us liked out food. The only thing that was good was dessert and it was not included with the meal. The "salad bar" was meager to say the least. I had ham which was supposed to come with au gratins and it came with tasteless mashed potatoes. My bf had turkey. The dressing was gummy and not good tasting. My bf and decided not to go back and have not missed it at all.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

At the risk of diverting from Pastrami on Rye to Rich Man Poor Man, I feel compelled to offer a counter to Lvdkeyes. I guess it just goes to show how different all of our taste buds are. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal at RMPM - in fact, most of the time the food is "food like Mama used to make" and I always leave happy and full. RMPM's new england clam chowder is fantastic as is the french onion soup and split pea soup. Don't pass them up if you go. And for the mains, the bbq ribs (both smoked and original) earn raves from everyone I know who has tried them. I urge you to give the place another try. On the downside, the salad bar was really an embarrassment and I think it has been discontinued. But, like I said before, we all like different things and if you don't like one place, Pattaya has plenty of alternatives.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

RichLB wrote:I feel compelled to offer a counter to Lvdkeyes.
Well, there were four of us and we all agreed the Christmas meal was a disaster.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:we all like different things and if you don't like one place, Pattaya has plenty of alternatives.
That is true. Lvdkeyes doesn't like Rich Man-Poor Man. Both RichLB and I like it very much, including their eggs Benedict. I don't care how they make their Hollandaise, I like it.

Undaunted doesn't like Pastrami on Rye's pastrami. I do. RichLB doesn't like their hamburgers because the buns get soggy. Meanwhile, that's exactly how I like hamburger buns to get. Both RichLB and I think Pastrami on Rye's pizza is the best in town. Others say New York Pizza on Third Road is the best.

I had the same complaint RichLB had about Rich Man-Poor Man's salad bar. As much as I like everything else about Rich Man-Poor Man, I thought their salad bar was not only the worst in town, but the worst, period. It has been discontinued.

The only thing I don't like about Pastrami on Rye is the acoustics. Inside, if there are a lot of people it is uncomfortably noisy. Outside, the bar next door plays their music far too loud and there is no wall between that bar and Pastrami on Rye. So far Pastrami on Rye has not done anything to offset the noise. I understand why Pastrami on Rye moved to their present location, but I preferred their original location - off Jomtien Beach Road.

In general, Pattaya is the only city I have ever been in that has such a wide diversity of restaurants, reasonably priced, and all within such close proximity of each other. For me, the only thing that's missing is an American style Chinese restaurant.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

lvdkeyes wrote:A couple of years ago, because of people raving about how good their thanksgiving dinner was at RMPM,four of us decided to have Christmas dinner there. None of us liked out food.
2 yrs. ago I had the exact same experience. Had a great Thanksgiving dinner there, so good that while there we booked a table for Xmas dinner and it was crap!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"