French Garden

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
windwalker

Re: French Garden

Post by windwalker »

Went to French Garden again tonight. Excellent lamb chops plus a very good lettuce/tomato/mozzarella salad. With wine about 1000 TB.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I finally had an opportunity to try the French Garden - I agree with the comments about this place. I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu and it was excellent. For a starter, I had their Italian cold cuts and cheese plate which also includes terrine (pate) and some small dill pickles. It was a meal in itself, so to leave room for the main dish, I ate about a third of it and took the rest home. My two companions were also first timers; both had steak, but one had the sashimi starter and the other the shrimp starter. We were all in agreement that we will return.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

It's nice to see so many favorable comments about The French Garden. It is a very welcome addition to the dining scene in Pattaya.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Friends and I again went to French Garden for a great meal seated near the pool. Unfortunately a large group of louts from England were then seated close to us and began their meal with cigarettes as an entree.
We then made it clear to them we were moving to a far distant table due to their smoking. Madame Rita was gracious enough to move us inside to avoid their stinking cigarettes. What a relief. Otherwise the food was ample and excellent and we did enjoy the experience. Really a place to try.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

The solution to your problem is a simple one - simply sit at tables located in smoke free areas. You said you were seated outside by the pool and that area is established to meet the wishes of smokers. Calling cigarette smokers "louts" seems equivalent to calling those who think everything should be designed to please them "prigs".
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

As much as I abhor the smell of cigarettes, I wouldn't call those who are addicted to cigarettes "louts".
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I wasn't aware that the area by the pool was set aside for smokers? Fact is, cig smoke drifts with the wind and can pollute the entire outdoor area. Just because an area is labeled smoke free doesn't prevent smoke drifting there.

As for "louts" these people were low class judging by their attire and speech not because of their smoking.

Just for clarification, one of our group was an ex-smoker and it was he who was the most adamant about moving. However he did admit, when a smoker, he would never have believed the claims of non-smokers.

Ok, back on topic, here is more on the Garden.

A couple in our party had the terrine as an appetizer which was a huge portion and dulled their appetite for the main plate. So be careful what you order if you are not a big eater.

I had the lamb shank which was excellent and bf had sashimi as a starter, also a large portion, followed by excellent lamb chops. We did bring our own wine and charged a small corkage fee of 100 Baht/bottle.
Followed it all up with cognac and a cheese plate.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Ok, gents - this topic is for reviewing French Garden. Let's please not turn it into a debate about smoking. If anyone does want to open a debate about smoking, please start a new topic.
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

Enjoyed my first visit to French Garden last night. The set menu was a good deal at 550b. It included a 1/4 carafe of
much better than average wine. Agree with others, the starter was almost sufficient for an entire meal. We sat inside
in a/c room, which seemed a shame as it was far more attractive outside, but my party was already seated when I arrived.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I went again on Monday with a friend, we dined about 6:30pm, and initially we were the only customers - another two came in while we were having dinner, so they were not busy. We both ordered the lamb shank (my starter was a superb French Onion Soup and my friend was very complimentary of his ham wrapped melon). We shared a full carafe of red wine.

While finishing our starters, the waiter came to let us know the cook had mistakenly prepared lamb chops instead of shank - he was very apologetic, but asked if we wanted the chops since they were ready - if not, he would have the cook prepare the lamb shanks. Since we were both ready for the main, we told him to go ahead and serve the chops. A very wise decision - there were 3 nice sized chops to each dish that were absolutely delicious - in addition, he added two complimentary glasses of wine to the carafe.

I should go there more often, but there are so many good restaurants in Pattaya. Also, one of these days, I plan to try some of those mentioned that are on the dark side.