French Garden

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

French Garden

Post by lvdkeyes »

We tried a new French restaurant for dinner tonight. It is French Garden and is located on Soi Jomtien Nivate (Thrappraya Soi 10). It's the soi that is next to Da Nong Italian Restaurant. Many know it as the 99 baht spaghetti place. The place is new and looks very new and fresh. There is inside and outside dining. The French owner Rita couldn't have been more friendly and welcoming as were the waiter and waitress. We were served an aperitif when we arrived. The menu is small, but the portions are large. Wichan had a Thai glass noodle salad with 9 large river prawns for starter and a superb grilled pork chop, that was cooked outside on a BBQ grill. It came with a small salad, mixed vegetables and French fries. Mashed were also available. I had a Caesar salad for starter which was not a real Caesar salad, but very tasty and large. It had bits of chicken and bacon. My main was chicken Cordon Bleu. It came with the same sides. It also was very large and delicious. I could only eat less than half of it. The dessert sounded to good to pass up, so we ordered one to share. Scrumptious chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream, all drizzled with a dark chocolate sauce. We both had water to drink. Total bill was 1240 baht, service not included. We will most definitely be returning.
Gaybutton

Re: French Garden

Post by Gaybutton »

Sounds excellent. I'll certainly be giving it a try soon.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I have passed this place many times during renovations so will try it tonight. The bf likes Caesar Salad (even if not authentic) so am looking forward to a nice meal.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

What a wonderful place. Thanks to lvdeyes for posting his experience. Lovely outdoor setting.
Food was good and generous portions. For starters I had salmon/tuna sashimi which was excellent and Thai friend had the Caesar salad, which was good but far from authentic. TF had the Angus steak which he said was excellent . I had the Cordon Bleu which was good but my second choice since the Tuna Steak was unavailable.
The house wine was decent. They do have a wine menu but most of the wines are very pricey. If a wine drinker better to BYOB for 200 Baht corkage fee. Our bill was 2000 Baht but half of that was the wine and cognac. For sure will return.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Does anyone have their telephone number - for making bookings?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Tel. number is : 038 119 620
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Last night RichLB, LKAsians, and I gave it a try. The food is excellent. I had the fillet steak and it was one of the best I've ever had in Thailand. To me it was just as good as Au Bon Coin and Chez Yvette. RichLB had the cordon bleu and was very happy with it. LKAsians had a spaghetti dish, but thought there was nowhere near enough sauce on it.

The food is beautifully presented. None of us had any wine. We're not really wine people. We also did not have dessert. We were too full to even look at the dessert menu. I agree with the previous posts about the portions. You're not going to leave this restaurant still hungry.

The setting is beautiful and the staff is very attentive and accommodating.

The one big complaint we had was the amount of time we had to wait for any food to be served. There were very few tables occupied - the restaurant has only been open for a month, so I suppose not very many people have discovered it yet. Most customers were French and were speaking French. Rita, the owner-manager, is also French. She comes from Nice.

We arrived at 7:30. Our starters weren't served until 8:10. There was another long wait for our main courses to be served. By the time we left, it was 10:00. I enjoy a leisurely dinner, but that wait was too leisurely. They do need to get their act together about the waiting time.

Other than that, the food was truly superb. Whether they improve the waiting time or not, we'll definitely be back.

By the way, I usually post GPS coordinates for these locations, but for whatever reason my GPS wouldn't pick up the signal at the restaurant last night, so I'm sorry, but no GPS coordinates. I'll try again next time.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Just a quick update about finding the French Garden. It is not on Thappraya. To get there you turn on the little road that runs along side the 99 baht spaghetti place and go through the arch. The French Garden is right after that and there is a big sign, so once you go through the arch, you can't miss it.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

You can even see the sign when looking down the soi from Thappraya Rd.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This evening I was back for a second time with a friend. The food and service was just as superb as the first time and this time there were no long waits for the food.