Wok N Rok

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Wok N Rok

Post by Gaybutton »

After both China Garden and the Chow Box closed I thought I'd never find another decent Chinese restaurant in Pattaya other than higher end restaurants such as the Chrysanthemum. By sheer accident I discovered Wok N Rok's web site and it looked good to me. This evening RichLB, another friend, and I gave it a try.

It's a small hole-in-the-wall open air restaurant on Soi Buakhao, closer to Pattaya Klang than Pattaya Tai. They have plenty of fans, though, and it was quite comfortable. The staff is attentive and fun. And the food was really good. All three of us greatly enjoyed it and will be back. Parking may be a problem for cars on Soi Buakhao, but we got lucky. I got a parking place no more than 100 feet from the restaurant.

I started with their hot and sour soup, which was very good. Then I had their spring rolls, which were really good. You get three big spring rolls and they're made fresh. I saw them being made in their kitchen. They make them themselves. They're not frozen commercial spring rolls and neither is any of their other food. They even have Egg Fu Yung on their menu. I just had to try it, although I was expecting it to be British style rather than American style. Oh well, it's British style, which I don't particularly care for myself, but it was still pretty good. RichLB had the Kung Pao Chicken and he loved it. They give you plenty. The portions are large. RichLB couldn't finish his and took the rest of it home.

With any of their dishes you can choose the level of spiciness. I asked for mild and that's what I got. RichLB asked for spicy and that's what he got.

My bill, including water, came to 335 baht. Very reasonable.

They will also deliver to just about everywhere in Pattaya including "The Dark Side."

Everything you need to know is on their web site: http://woknrok.com
lvdkeyes

Re: Wok N Rok

Post by lvdkeyes »

"Chow Box" ? A decent Chinese restaurant? You certainly are kidding. It was the worst restaurant, not just Chinese, that I have encountered for a long time.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Chow Box is long gone, so whether people did or did not like it is a dead issue now. If you try Wok N Rok, let us know what you think of it. I won't say Wok N Rok is the greatest Chinese restaurant I've ever been to, but as far as I know for moderately priced Chinese food it's the only game in town.
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

I ordered from there last night: hot & sour soup, chow mein, fried rice. The order-taking went well, but it was over an hour for delivery (it was Saturday night!). The food was quite good and I will certainly do it again.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

richsilver wrote:I ordered from there last night
How was the order delivered? Did they have their own delivery person? Did it come via motorbike taxi?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Funny, I also ordered from them last night. Spring rolls, duck kung pao, chicken chow mein and char sui fu yung. I don't know if the delivery boy (cute) was motorbike or their own, Food was packed in plastic boxes with appropriate sauces. All food was tasty. Delivery charge was 100 THB.