Livv

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Livv

Post by Gaybutton »

Last evening a friend and I tried Livv restaurant and bakery. This is a small, upscale restaurant on "The Dark Side." It's on Soi Khao Talo, almost at the top of the soi. If you're coming from Sukhumvit, go up Soi Khao Talo almost all the way to the top of the soi, on the left. If you pass the Wat Boomsampan School, you went too far. Look for Soi 14. Livv is directly opposite.

GPS coordinates are: N 12° 54' 28", E 100° 54' 48"

Telephone: 095 984 4208

Livv is open from 8:00am to midnight, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

On Saturdays all steaks are discounted 25%.

On Tuesdays they serve unlimited spare ribs - 495 baht.

If you want to try their signature Tomahawk Steak, I suggest sharing it with 1 or 2 or even 3 people. It's huge. You'll find out what the Tomahawk Steak is all about in the last part of the video below.

I tried the "Classic Ceasar Salad," which I thought was one of the best in town. My friend had the broccoli and cauliflower soup, which he greatly enjoyed. For our main, we each had the pasta carbonara. We loved it. It was made perfectly. You get a choice of whether you want it made with spaghetti or penne. We wanted the penne. The dessert case looks fabulous, but we were too full to try any of them. Luckily for me, I live only 5 minutes away, so if I'm looking for a dessert out here on "The Dark Side," guess where I'll be going.

The restaurant is immaculately clean and the service is excellent. The male waiter, John, is quite handsome, very personable, and speaks fluent English. He said he learned his English because his schooling in Thailand was at an international school and he also spent 4 years in the USA going to college. He said he spent 2 years in New York and 2 years in Washington, DC.

If you can get there and want to try an upscale restaurant, I highly recommend giving Livv a try.

Their web site is: http://livvpattaya.com . At first I found their menu section a little confusing about trying to go from page to page. At the top of the menu you'll see a series of small circles. Click those to go from menu page to menu page.

loke

Re: Livv

Post by loke »

Yes I agree it looks delicious , but I am surprised they dare to start a top end restaurant like this "out in the bush" as I would call the dark side. Main dishes from 4-500 up to 1000 and desserts and breakfasts starting from 200 is really on the high side and who knows , maybe the chef working in the kitchen can do some magic, maybe the food is amazing and one of the best in Pattaya. I hope you can report back and also if there is any promotions , it might be worth a trip from Jomtien.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

loke wrote:I am surprised they dare to start a top end restaurant like this "out in the bush" as I would call the dark side
I'm not surprised at all. "The Dark Side" isn't so dark anymore. This is one of the most, if not the most, up and coming areas in the entire Pattaya area. There are plenty of people out here now to support upscale restaurants and good new restaurants are opening out here frequently.

That's not the problem. The problem on "The Dark Side" is the same kind of problem throughout most of Pattaya - traffic. Traffic is getting heavier and heavier all the time, but the roads were never built to accommodate it all.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I dread using Soi Kao Talo. I can't imagine a high end European restaurant succeeding at that location. Location, location, location. Pastrami on Rye has a fighting chance of success simply because of its new location with sawng taeo access.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Livv is not what I would call a high end restaurant. It hardly compares with Des Amis or Marta Hari, just to name a couple.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Livv is not what I would call a high end restaurant.
Neither would I. I think "upscale" is a more appropriate term.

Have you eaten there?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

lvdkeyes wrote:Livv is not what I would call a high end restaurant. It hardly compares with Des Amis or Marta Hari, just to name a couple.
Looks to me they are charging Des Amis and Mata Hari prices, 220 baht for tomato soup and 260 baht for an English breakfast, 220 baht for pancakes? Just seems like a lousy location.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:Just seems like a lousy location.
That depends on your point of view, doesn't it? Sure, if you live in the Jomtien area, especially for those without their own transportation, it's a lousy location. On the other hand, for those of us living on "The Dark Side" it's a perfect location. From my point of view, Mata Hari and Des Amis are lousy locations.

Whether their prices are reasonable or not, that too depends on your point of view. As the owner says in the video, if you want food of the quality they serve, then you have to pay for it. I think it's expensive to eat there, so I won't be eating there often, but when I do choose to eat there, I know the prices to expect. And having eaten there, now I know the quality of the food you get.

Maybe I'm different from most people, but when I go to a restaurant, I'm not the least bit interested in how fancy the decor is. I'm interested in how well I like the food, the quality of the food, and the service. Once in awhile if I have to pay a few hundred baht extra to get it, I don't complain about the prices because I go there knowing the kinds of prices I'm walking into.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Went to Livv tonight for their spare rib promotion. These are the best, most meaty ribs I have had. Delicious bbq sauce. Highly recommended. Looking forward to trying their hamburger. I survived the darkside and have returned to Jomtien safely!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:I survived the darkside and have returned to Jomtien safely!
Your survival skills are to be congratulated indeed. You challenged "The Dark Side" and lived to tell the tale . . .

One thing I've noticed about Pattaya restaurants - if it's a good restaurant, it gets customers, even in difficult to get to locations. Another example of that is Au Bon Coin. It's a wonderful restaurant, not only in a difficult location, but hard for many to even find. Meanwhile, if you don't make a booking, chances are you won't get in. Even in the lowest part of low season, most tables are occupied. And in high season - if you don't make a booking, usually a couple days in advance, you definitely won't get in.