New Italian restaurant

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

New Italian restaurant

Post by lvdkeyes »

.You'd think Jomtien wouldn't need another Italian restaurant, but we tried this new place called La Taverna Italian Bistro on Thrappaya Road a few doors down toward the beach from Simon's Fish 'n Chips. It's been open only 6 days. It was one of the best Italian meals I have had in Thailand. There was bread and bread sticks with olive oil & balsamic and tomato sauce for dipping. I had tortellini di carne in Brodo ( chicken tortellini in broth with some cherry tomatoes and few vegetables) for starter, ravioli in tomato sauce for main course and Vanilla ice cream with very good Italian espresso poured over for dessert. My bf had bruschetta with fresh mozzarella and tomato salsa for starter, penne arabiatta for main course and caramel latte for dessert. Everything was delicious, but the penne was under cooked for bf's taste. I tasted it and it was a bit under cooked. He told the hostess who apologized profusely. He didn't finish it. They packaged it up to take away and didn't charge for it. We had 2 Lipton iced tea and 1 bottle of water. The place is bright and modern with inside and outside dining. Music was soft and not intrusive at all. Total bill was 1080 THB. If they had charged for the penne it would have been it would have been 1300 THB. We will certainly be returning.
Up2u

Re: New Italian restaurant

Post by Up2u »

Ate there tonight. Very good meal. We had salads and pasta, and the third person had salmon steak. All meals were enjoyed, reasonable prices, and we will return. This could be a regular stop on the restaurant circuit.
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

I too dined there last night and definitely give a thumbs up!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

After these reviews, this evening RichLB and I tried it. Excellent! The food is superb and so is the service. We each had the chicken tortellini soup and the stuffed tortellini. Magnifico! RichLB had the creme caramel for dessert and I had the tiramisu. Equally superb. Between the soup, main course, water, and dessert, the bill came to 710 baht each. There is no service charge.

It's a relatively small restaurant - a few tables outside, about 8 tables inside. This time of year you probably won't need a booking, but once the word spreads around and definitely during high season you will.

The female manager's English is very good. There are several female waitresses and one handsome male waiter, whose English is also very good. Unfortunately the waiter didn't set off my gaydar, but based on the quality of his service I believe he's either had experience at an upscale restaurant or was well trained.

If you appreciate really good Italian dining, whatever you do, don't miss this restaurant. We're going to be back - many times.

Telephone: 086 012 6673
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I think you are absolutely right about bookings. I won't go there again without a booking. Even in this low season they are fairly busy. I won't take a chance on being disappointed.