Hot Dogs

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
firecat69

Re: Hot Dogs

Post by firecat69 »

The Wisconsin would be for me with relish added but I'd also try the Bratwurst.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Keep in mind this is a very small business and the kitchen is up on the third floor. The staff must climb three flights of stairs to deliver your order (why not use the phone?) Do not expect a lot of additions to the food menu, Beertopia specializes in craft beers and that apparently is where the money is at.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:Beertopia specializes in craft beers
I apologize for my ignorance, but would someone please explain what is 'craft' beer?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Craft beers are those made in micro breweries in smaller amounts than Singha, Leo or other such beers.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

In the USA, it would probably be called micro-brewed beer. In my work, I traveled a bit to different parts of USA. Whenever I was in a City that had a micro brewery, I usually made a point of visiting and trying their brews.

At the PCEC meeting, Chris described craft beers; noting that most are Ales instead of Lager (different brewing process for each, which he explained). He also has an answer to What is Craft Beer? on his website: http://www.beertopiathailand.com/#!about-us/c18bc

Before I retired and moved here to Thailand, many of the grocery stores where I bought beer had started stocking micro brews in bottles - since the breweries are not large, they have a limited production and often their distribution area is to nearby cities and states.

These beers tend to be more flavorful because they are not pasteurized - they also tend to have a slightly higher alcohol content.

I hope to make it to Beertopia next week to give their porter beer a try (dark beer but lighter than a stout - Guinness is a stout). But forgive me GB, my favorite is a chili cheese dog :o (but to each his own taste).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:But forgive me GB, my favorite is a chili cheese dog
A pox upon ye, yon visigoth!

But enjoy it anyway . . .
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: I didn't think to ask if he also sells the buns (I'll find out).
I made my 3rd visit yesterday getting there just after 2pm. This time, I decided to buy some of their beef wieners to take home. I already had what I needed except for wiener and buns. Unfortunately they didn't have the beef dogs available, so I opted for the pork. Chris asked if I needed buns and I said yes, I planned to stop on the way home. He said they have buns for sale - 10 baht each - so I added that plus a couple bottles of Rogue Mocha Porter beer (a dark beer, quite good).

While I was there, I ordered the New Zealand Cheese Burger - I thought it was very good with a nice size meat patty (but maybe not up to Up2U's standards) - the price was 220 baht. I enjoyed a couple glasses of their Amber Ale on tap - it went very well with the burger.

I also asked Chris if he was going to be the supplier for the new place being opened in Jomtien by the Hanamun statue - it is where the property agent used to be and is called the "Cove." He said yes they would be selling some of his craft beers including on tap. They expect to open later this month - he wasn't sure, but thinks they will also sell food.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:PonR plans to eventually add hotdogs to the menu and their supplier will be Beertopia(logical guess).
Actually that's not going to happen. Beertopia and Pastrami on Rye are indeed friends, but I asked Pastrami on Rye about that just a three nights ago. Sean said he does like the hot dogs, but he thinks they're a bit too thin to be part of his menu. He also said he knows the person who makes the hot dogs and asked if he can make them thicker. For whatever reason, the answer was no. So, for the time being, if you want the hot dogs you have to either eat them at Beertopia or buy them at Beertopia and make them at home.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I also find the Beertopia hot dogs too thin, but the simple answer is to put 2 on 1 bun.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Beertopia is now open 11 AM to Midnight. Much better hours for those who might want a hot dog or burger for lunch.