Hot Dogs

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

Hot Dogs

Post by lvdkeyes »

I have finally found a place to get a good tasting American-style hot dog. Beertopia on Regional Land soi 2.
Up2u

Re: Hot Dogs

Post by Up2u »

lvdkeyes wrote:I have finally found a place to get a good tasting American-style hot dog. Beertopia on Regional Land soi 2.
I agree. The owner made a presentation at the Pattaya City Expat Club about "craft beers", this business's specialty. What caught many people's attention was hotdogs on his short food menu. He has a Bangkok partner that produces these American style all-beef dogs. My hotdog(130 baht) was certainly the best I have had in Pattaya and a friend swears by quality of the Bangkok outlet. I purchased a package of ten dogs for 400 baht which I will put in the freezer. If you are coming down 3rd Road from the Bali Hai pier area make a right at the Soi 17 traffic light and it is on your right at Soi 2 about 150 meters from the light. Again, this place features craft beer and that is their primary business, but the hotdogs are very good and they have burgers too.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Also, make sure what time you go. I wanted to try their hot dogs a couple weeks ago. I got there around noon only to see a sign on the door that they open at 2:00pm. I haven't had a chance to go back yet, but now that there has been some positive reviews, I'll be heading over there very soon - after 2:00pm . . .
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I haven't made it there yet - but I want to try the dogs and the beer. At the PCEC club meeting he announced they have about 40 beers on tap at any one time -- shipped in refrigerated transport from brewery to his store - these beers are non-pasteurized and are also sold bottled. He said they have a sampler which provides a taste of several brews - you pick which ones you want to try - price for sampler, if I recall correctly was 395b.

My favorite craft beer is a Porter and he said they currently have five available (his company also provides wholesale to businesses including Pastrami on Rye - I had the Porter at PonR and it was great (but not cheap at 200B per bottle).

I asked during Q&A session about his hours - he said from 2pm to 11pm. Their website is http://www.beertopiathailand.com/, but their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/beertopiathailand/timeline seems to have more info. Also, the PCEC has a YouTube video of him being interviewed after his presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wNwya4rNgQ
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The owners of PonR and Beertopia are friendly and have a business relationship on the beers it appears as they were all there when I was eating my hotdog singing Kumbaya. PonR plans to eventually add hotdogs to the menu and their supplier will be Beertopia(logical guess). They also had some English style meat pies on the menu. Beertopia's tap beers are 170-200 baht.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Menu for Beertopia
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

With these good reviews about Beertopia's hot dogs, I couldn't stand it. This afternoon - after 2:00pm - I stopped in to buy some hot dogs to take home. I spoke with the owner, Chris, a very personable young man who most would probably like from the moment you meet him.

I bought the pack of 10. 400 baht. They come frozen. I asked whether they are skinless or have the casings. They have the casings and that's exactly what I wanted. I like that texture. I asked where he gets them from. He said they're made in Bangkok, but not just anybody can get them. He said a friend of his, originally from New York, makes them and sells only to certain people because he can make only just so many of them.

I don't know how I did it, but I managed to resist the temptation to eat any of them until dinner time. They ARE good - very good. I won't say they're the best I've ever had, but they come very close - definitely close enough to satisfy me. Just the right hot dog flavor. Finally! Now you can get good hot dogs in Thailand. How long did we wait? Villa Market can keep their Oscar Meyers.

As many of you know, Thai hot dogs are shit. I think they would have to improve to become shit. Nothing but flavorless texture, made out of God knows what. But these hot dogs are the real thing and I just finished having a couple of them for dinner. The rest are now residing in my freezer, just waiting for my next hot dog craving. And when I run out of them, now I know where to get more. At 40 baht per hot dog, they're well worth it. As far as I know, this is the only place to get good hot dogs in all of Thailand.

As far as the beer is concerned, I'm not a beer person. I'll have a beer maybe once or twice in a year. I don't even know what craft beer means, so I'm sorry, but I didn't have a beer.

I told Chris he better keep plenty of the hot dogs in stock. Once the word spreads, he's going to be a busy man.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I wonder of they will join one of the meal delivery services?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know if they will directly join any of the delivery services, but if Up2U is correct in that Pastrami on Rye will be selling their hot dogs, Pastrami on Rye does deliver.

Next time I go to Beertopia I'll ask him about that - unless, of course, someone beats me to it and posts the answer.

By the way, Beertopia carries both pork and all beef hot dogs. I recommend the all beef. Even Chris said the all beef hot dogs are much better.

One question, firecat69 - do you prefer your hot dogs the same way I like mine - mustard and sauerkraut? On his menu that would be number 2, the German 'Rotten Cabbage' Dawg. I bought the buns and sauerkraut on my way home. I already had the mustard - Gulden's Spicy Brown. I didn't think to ask if he also sells the buns (I'll find out).

For me, that's the only way to eat a hot dog. One thing I would never eat is a chili dog and for sure never never never a corn dog (thank goodness corn dogs aren't on his menu). Heartburn and a pox upon the unbelievers, desecraters, and miscreants who would . . .
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I had the Chicago hot dog and it was very close to what I grew up with. I would certainly have a corn dog if they were available. (Sorry GB). Potato salad or fries would be a good addition to their menu.