Nong Bistro

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Nong Bistro

Post by Gaybutton »

Unfortunately for most of you, Nong Bistro is a "The Dark Side" restaurant on Soi Siam Country Club - meaning if you don't have your own transportation, you're probably not going to get there. But if it's possible for you to get there, get there. It's about a 10 minute, maybe less, drive from Sukhumvit.

I've probably driven right past it a gazillion times and never noticed it. A review in the July 3 edition of the Pattaya Mail was the first I've heard of it. There are a number of good restaurants on "The Dark Side." This evening I tried Nong Bistro and it has graduated to my number 1 restaurant out here. This restaurant is easily on par, and some will say even better, than restaurants such as Magg's, Café Ritz, Blue Olive, and many other similar quality restaurants.

There are plenty of tables inside and a few tables outside if you prefer outdoor seating. The restaurant is immaculate - absolutely spotless. The service is excellent and the food is very high quality. Nothing comes out a can at Nong Bistro. Their menu includes photos of every item.

I spoke to the owner, Mrs. Nong, who emphasized her insistence on excellent quality. And she was certainly right.

First they serve an amuse bouche and piping hot fresh rolls, made on the premises, served with a garlic butter.

For my starter, I had the bitterballen, a Dutch dish I had never heard of. I had to look it up on the internet to know what it is. They serve six of them and they were really good. Now it's going to be difficult for me to order a different starter next time I go, which will be soon.

My main course was the stuffed pork tenderloin. When they say it's served in a brandy cream sauce, they mean it. I could have gotten drunk on the sauce. It was wonderful. It comes with vegetables and a choice of potatoes. I opted for the croquettes - excellent.

I had the pana cotta for dessert. Definitely the best I've ever had. I wanted to try their chocolate soufflé, an off-menu item mentioned in the Pattaya Mail article. They were out of it, but that pana cotta certainly made up for that little disappointment.

Mrs. Nong told me they've been in business for 18 months now. I'm sorry I didn't find out about it sooner. I'm definitely going to be back, and often. In my opinion, Nong Bistro is the best restaurant on "The Dark Side."

They also have a Thai menu and apparently Thais really like this restaurant too. Several tables were occupied by groups of Thais.

Including water, my total bill came to 690 baht - very well worth it.

Nong Bistro is closed on Mondays.

GPS coordinates are: 12.936849, 100.928764

Telephone: 038 115 701

http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/nong-bistro-48577

http://www.nongbistro.com/index.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... vince.html

https://www.facebook.com/nongbistro
lvdkeyes

Re: Nong Bistro

Post by lvdkeyes »

It sounds like a place to try.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

A friend and I ate at Nong Bistro last night. It was his first time there and my second. Again excellent and the service excellent. When we arrived there was only one other table occupied. By the time we left there wasn't a table to be had.

I had the bitterballen and the grilled chicken fillet. My friend had the Snert and the Steak Nong Bistro. Neither of us had room for dessert. I loved mine and he loved his. He wants to go again very soon. So do I.
loke

Post by loke »

How would you compare this place with Livv? Do they serve similar dishes , desserts etc ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

loke wrote:How would you compare this place with Livv? Do they serve similar dishes , desserts etc ?
They are two different types of restaurants, each with their own unique menus, and links to the menus are posted in each of the two topics. I can't really compare the two. Why not try them both and judge for yourself?