Pum Pui's - on "The Dark Side"

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Pum Pui's - on "The Dark Side"

Post by Gaybutton »

Pum Pui's is a Pattaya restaurant on "The Dark Side." There was a review in the PATTAYA MAIL (see: http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/pumpui-43710 ) that sounded good. Since I live on "The Dark Side," this evening I gave it a try.

It's a small open air restaurant, with inside and outside seating. I concur with the Pattaya Mail review. I liked it and will be back, but I didn't think it was quite as outstanding at the review makes it sound. I would give it a "good, but not great."

If you live on "The Dark Side" or just happen to be out here for some reason, then it's well worth stopping in. However, unless you're going to be on "The Dark Side" anyway, I really don't think it's worth a special trip. There are plenty of restaurants just as good or better in town. Besides, unless you have your own transportation, you're not going to get there - at least not easily. It's a good 5 or 6 km from Sukhumvit. If you do want to give it a try, from Sukhumvit go up Soi Siam Country Club. When you drive out far enough, you'll spot a traffic light. Pum Pui's is on your left, about one block before you get as far as the traffic light.

GPS coordinates are: N 12° 55' 58.2", E 100° 56' 18.5"

I tried their Caesar Salad as a starter. It's a large, good salad, with croutons and real bacon bits. But I have yet to find a restaurant in Pattaya that serves Caesar Salad with the anchovies.
My main course was a ravioli dish served with a truffle oil cream sauce. That was really good.

They have plenty of other menu selections too, along with a large selection of pizzas and pastas.

Between my salad, the ravioli, and water, my bill came to 345 baht.

The service is good and the wait time for the food is not long at all, but this is still one of those restaurants where when it's ready, that's when the food comes out. I was about two thirds of the way through my Caesar Salad when they brought out the ravioli dish. Even so, by the time I got to it, it was still nice and hot.

What you order is what you get. No servings of bread or anything else.

Again, I enjoyed the restaurant, but I really don't think it's worth the trek for most of you unless you're going to be out here anyway. In my opinion, it's more for local farang than anyone else.
lvdkeyes

Re: Pum Pui's - on "The Dark Side"

Post by lvdkeyes »

Gaybutton wrote:
I tried their Caesar Salad as a starter. It's a large, good salad, with croutons and real bacon bits. But I have yet to find a restaurant in Pattaya that serves Caesar Salad with the anchovies.
Are you aware that the original Caesar salad did not have anchovies? The anchovy taste came from the Worcestershire sauce, which has anchovies in it.

This place sounds like a good place to try.
Gaybutton

Re: Pum Pui's - on "The Dark Side"

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Are you aware that the original Caesar salad did not have anchovies?
No, I wasn't aware of that. I like it better when it does have the anchovies. If Worcestershire sauce was included in Pum Pui's salad dressing, I didn't taste it.

Since apparently you're going to give Pum Pui's a try, I'll be very interested to know what you have and what you think of it.

Also, I'm sorry, but I forgot to mention that Pum Pui's will be closed from January 1-5.