Corned Beef

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Corned Beef

Post by Gaybutton »

Every so often I like to buy a whole corned beef to make things like corned beef and cabbage. Western Wholesale Meats, for whatever reason, no longer carries it. Now they only carry the chopped up processed corned beef that tastes lousy, just like it came out of a can and is useless for cooking - maybe corned beef hash, but that's about it.

Does anyone know where to buy a corned beef in Pattaya?
lvdkeyes

Re: Corned Beef

Post by lvdkeyes »

Buy a brisket at Makro and brine it yourself. Far superior to any you will find!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Buy a brisket at Makro and brine it yourself. Far superior to any you will find!
I'll try that. Can you post a recipe and "how to do" for the brine?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Corned Beef

7 quarts hot water
2 cups pickling salt
1/4 cup dry mustard
2 tbsp pickling spice**
10 cloves garlic
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 pounds beef brisket
**Pickling spice:
6 tbsp black pepper corns
6 tbsp mustard seeds
5 tbsp whole allspice
6 tsp coriander seeds
6 whole cloves
3 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp red pepper flakes
3 bay leaves, crumbled
3 cinnamon stick, cracked

Directions

In an 8 quart non reactive container, stir together hot water, pickling salt, dry mustard, pickling spice, whole garlic cloves and pepper.
Let cool.
Add the beef and top with a heavy plate to keep the beef submerged.
Let beef brine for a minimum of 3 days or up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Rinse with cold water.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

GB,

Have you considered MJ Smokehouse for their corned beef - Corn Beef (cooked) 350 B / 500 g. If I'm not mistaken, I think Scott who manages it is related to the individual who runs Pastrami on Rye - MJ Smokehouse also has Pastrami -Pastrami 400 B / 500 g as well as other smoked meats. You place your order and they deliver to your residence - usually within a day or two of ordering - they usually arrange with you a date and time for delivery. Website price list: http://mjsmokehouse.com/?page_id=6
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:Have you considered MJ Smokehouse for their corned beef
Yes, but they usually sell it sliced. I guess I have nothing to lose by asking for a whole one. I also want to try lvdkeyes's recipe.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I have had corned beef and pastrami from MJ Smokehouse and Pastrami on Rye. You can believe me when I tell you when I make it myself it tastes much better.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:You can believe me when I tell you when I make it myself it tastes much better.
That's why I want to try your recipe. Even when I was able to find a whole corned beef, when I made corned beef and cabbage most of the flavor was cooked right out of the corned beef.

All I know to do to tenderize corned beef is to parboil it until it's tender. Do you have a method for tenderizing it without cooking out the flavor? Also, with a brisket do you trim off the fat before, after, or not at all after brining it?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

With brining for 2 weeks, which is what I do, the flavor stays when you cook it. I don't trim any of the fat off before I cook it. The flavor is in the fat. If you don't want to eat the fat it's up to you, but definitely cook it will full fat. A gentle long slow cooking is the answer to tender brisket. Just start it early. When it's very tender you can let it sit in the cooking liquid. About an hour before you are going to serve it, place the brisket on a deep platter with another inverted on top and weight it down with a heavy skillet or canned foods. This makes it much easier to slice.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Yes, thank you for the recipe, lvdkeyes... I'll try it. Never brined one myself. I've always been happy with the results when it's slow cooked in a crock pot on low for the day.