Cafe Indochine

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Up2u

Cafe Indochine

Post by Up2u »

This restaurant with a Vietnamese menu has now opened in the Jomtien Complex next to the Poseidon. Last night I saw few customers. The location is the old Olivier. They have no buffet salad bar.
2lz2p

Re: Cafe Indochine

Post by 2lz2p »

Thanks Up2u -- I will have to give it a try soon. It is my understanding the owner of Olivier also operates the Saigon Bistro in Central and the Le Saigon Bayview. Before he took over Olivier he had another restaurant in Jomtien Complex named Saigon - it didn't have much patronage and lost mine because of very poor service. He later turned it into the Hot Stone Grill that had moderate success before he took over Olivier.

I am particularly interested in his Pho and Bun as these are two of my favorite Vietnamese dishes - if it as good as Saigon Bistro, that will be great since Jomtien Complex is a much more convenient location.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Did a Google Search to see if they have a web site -- found this posted on the Saigon Bistro web site:
Saigon Bistro has moved

to New Location at

Cafe InDochine

@ Jomtien Complex

Tel: 038-251-669
I still haven't gone there yet, but it appears menu will be same as Saigon Bistro - I do like their Pho and they are served the same as what I was used to at Vietnamese Pho restaurants in USA, including Sriracha Hot Sauce and Hoisen Sauce.

I will definitely be giving it a try soon.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:I do like their Pho
For the ignorant among us (meaning me), what is Pho?
TOQ

Post by TOQ »

Gaybutton wrote:
I believe it is a Vietnamese noodle soup with either beef or chicken
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Yes, TOQ,you are right. I has lots of herbs and is Vietnam's quintessential dish. I have a recipe for chicken pho that will sold to the highest bidder. LOL
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I and a couple friends had dinner there the other night. I was surprised to find that although they did offer several varieties of pho, the majority of the menu appeared to be Western - specifically French. I had the set menu (spring rolls, fish with a really good sauce over it, and desert). The price was 295 baht and I thought it was a bargain. I will be back.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

From Wikipedia: Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of broth, linguine-shaped rice noodles called bánh phở, a few herbs, and meat. Pho is a popular street food in Vietnam and the specialty of a number of restaurant chains around the world.

There are Pho restaurants in USA that have up to 20 or more variations on the meat - myself, I prefer Pho Tai (rare beef):

It is usually accompanied by bean sprouts, mint leaves, chili peppers, etc. to add to the soup as you wish - also instead of ketchup, you will usually find a large bottle of Sriracha Chili Sauce and Hoisen Sauce on each table:

Another of my favorite dishes is Bun - Vermicelli over veggies and then topped with meat - I usually prefer grilled beef or pork:

French dishes are not unusual for some Vietnamese restaurants as they were a colony of France for many years (French Indochina - Indochine - Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia). The owner also has the Le Saigon Bayview on Pratamnak Hill - http://www.lesaigonbayview.com/index.ph ... -our-foods As I recall, his menu there also includes French food.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Four of us went last night. Sadly they were closed. I am assuming Tuesday is their regular day to close. It's too bad no one mentioned that before.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Gaybutton wrote:
Pronounced with a short "u", as in Summer, with a rising tone. A Vietnamese friend here had an all-Viet sporting team some years back that he named "What the Pho"... got a laugh from those who knew how the word is pronounced. ;)