Sam's Mexican in Jomtien Complex..

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
catawampuscat

Sam's Mexican in Jomtien Complex..

Post by catawampuscat »

A group of us had dinner tonight at Sam's Mexican. It's in a great location and many boy beer bars are within
a minute or two.
Three of us ordered the frozen Margaritas and they were superb. It's a big Margarita and worth going to Sam's just
for the Margarita only.
My chicken burrito grande was excellent and everyone enjoyed their meal.
Up2u

Re: Sam's Mexican in Jomtien Complex..

Post by Up2u »

I would recommend Sam's just for the convenience alone. The food is cheap and certainly fills the void. Mike's Mexican just off Thappraya Rd. is certainly better in every way. Sam's serves a hot dog that some like, but I don't think it would meet GB's standard (or mine).
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Sam's owner recommended SS Sausage Co, for hot dogs. With him being American I thought he would know about hot dogs. He has no clue what a US hot dog should taste like.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:I don't think it would meet GB's standard (or mine).
You're right, it doesn't. I do think those who enjoy Mexican style food ought to give Sam's a try and judge for themselves, but I didn't care for anything I've had there.

As for hot dogs, I've never found any in Pattaya that I like. I've tried restaurants and grocery stores. All lousy, although I haven't tried the recipe lvdkeyes posted (see: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2735&start=10#p28174 ). The closest I've ever found was the BMS hot dog (see: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2735&start=40#p31220 ), but they seem to have disappeared. Now I can't find them anywhere.

I can't blame Sam's because hot dogs I like are simply not available in Thailand. Give me Nathan's or Hebrew National hot dogs. I wish Villa Market would import them instead of or along with Oscar Meyer, which I don't like, but so far if either brand is anywhere in Thailand, I haven't found them.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I don't agree with GB about the tastiness of Sam's Mexican food - although I do prefer Mike's. Sam does not offer any of the more specialized Mexican dishes (chile rellenos, chimichangas, etc.), but the standard Mexican fare is acceptable and priced fairly. My major criticism is that the last time we ate there the advertised guacamole for the fajitas wasn't available and there was no adjustment in price for the omission. Anyway, if you're just looking for some "filler food" Mexican dishes, give Sam's a try.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

You can't make chilies rellenos in Thailand since fresh poblanos are not available here.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

A friend ordered guacamole and the waiter came back 5-10 minutes later and said "no have". He got pissed, all orders were canceled and we got up and left.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:A friend ordered guacamole and the waiter came back 5-10 minutes later and said "no have"
I wonder why they "no have." There are plenty of avocados at Makro and they carry the Hass avocado, one of the best avocado varieties.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote:
Up2u wrote:A friend ordered guacamole and the waiter came back 5-10 minutes later and said "no have"
I wonder why they "no have." There are plenty of avocados at Makro and they carry the Hass avocado, one of the best avocado varieties.
For the same reason they "no have" Diet Coke or Coke Zero when there is a 7-11 right across the street.
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

RichLB wrote:if you're just looking for some "filler food" Mexican dishes, give Sam's a try.
Whenever I go out to dinner I'm just looking for some "filler food". Why be concerned with taste or ambiance or availability of items on the menu or your favorite drink? As long as it's cheap and near the boy bars, I guess that's all that matters.