Lido Italian Restaurant - Bangkok

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
painai2

Re: Lido Italian Restaurant - Bangkok

Post by painai2 »

One thing about Lido Italian Restaurant, they don't take reservations. Sometimes it's hard to get a table if you didn't arrive early, at least by 7 pm. Maybe that will change at the new location.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Not only Lido is changing. I haven't been to Sri Bam Pen for a few months, and there are several other changes.

Opposite Ibis Hotel, there used to be "The Full" (which I remember vaguely, had another name and owner a few years ago), now it's gone and there are Daddy Burger and Mama Dolores Pizza (not to be confused with Mama Dolores Pizza on Yen Akard). There is another Pizzeria further away, opposite the second 7/11. The internet cafe closest to Penguin Gueshouse is now a tattoo studio.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

christianpfc wrote:now a tattoo studio.
Did you get any . . . ?
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Lido has opened as scheduled, I have eaten twice in the new location. Now they have more seats. Yesterday, I went with a friend and both of us were satisfied with quality and price.

As far as I know, the move was due an increase in rent at the old location. There is still no new business where Lido used to be. Looks like a triple loss: the landlord has no income from rent, Lido had expenses for moving and was unable to serve customers during the move, and customers can't look out on Sri Bam Pen and watch the traffic going by, you are bound to see someone you know if you spent some time in the scene.

Whereas the old place was often full when I walked past, the new place always had free tables, seating capacity has approximately doubled.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Been there not impressed, across the street is a good western restaurant named Trajah, good food good prices.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Went to Lido again, as good as usual.

Can recommend Trajah as well. Didn't go for over three years as I'm not a fan of steak, but they have other food as well. Glad my friend suggested going there, we went twice.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I like Lido and Trajah. If you like Lido and want to go a little more upmarket but not over the top and have some northern Italian food as well as Southern then give this place a try: http://www.viavaibkk.com/
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

OH, I forget to say that one thing that is exceptional with Lido is the service. If you order a salad, soup or appetizer it will come to the table before the main dish. No one is going to push your starter out of the way before you're finished and put your main dish on the table even if you're a slow eater. If you order more than one starter you'll likely be asked in what order do you want them served.

The owner once told me that getting the Thai staff to do that was very difficult. They just don't get the western concept of meals in courses.

In most restaurants in Thailand they only way to separate the starter from the main course is to first order a starter and when you're finished then order the main course.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:In most restaurants in Thailand they only way to separate the starter from the main course is to first order a starter and when you're finished then order the main course.
I'm glad you brought that up. For me, that took a lot of getting used to. In most restaurants that I've been to where the staff is untrained in western eating styles (and often even when they have been trained), the idea of the order of courses and the idea of timing so that everyone is served at the same time just doesn't exist. Whatever is ready is served right then. I've had many more than once when someone at my table was completely finished before someone else was served anything at all.

Often they also don't grasp the concept of individual servings. Most of the time when I see Thais eat, the food is "community food." The food is placed on the table and everyone at the table helps themselves to it.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Gaybutton wrote:
Often they also don't grasp the concept of individual servings. Most of the time when I see Thais eat, the food is "community food." The food is placed on the table and everyone at the table helps themselves to it.
I have seen this with Thai and other Asian meals, but have never seen a western meal served like this.