Lido Italian Restaurant - Bangkok

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Lido Italian Restaurant - Bangkok

Post by Gaybutton »

Many of you are familiar with the Lido, one of my favorite Italian restaurants. If you are staying at the Malaysia Hotel, The Pinnacle, Babylon Sauna, or other accommodations local to that area, it's within easy walking distance.

The restaurant is located on the corner of Soi Sribumphen and a small soi. If you go up the soi, looking for the Lido and it's no longer there, don't be disappointed. They are about to move, but fortunately not far. They will reopen just a few meters down that small soi.

I ate there just two nights before they closed to complete their move and it was just as good as ever. I started with their "Insalata Cesare," their version of a Caesar Salad. It's not a true Caesar Salad, but it is still an excellent salad. It is served with three generous pieces of Italian bread. For my main course I had their "Tortellini con Prosciutto Crudo e Panna," which I just love. The portions are large, so be hungry when you go to the Lido. I hadn't eaten at all that day when I went for dinner and I still couldn't finish.

See their web site: http://www.lidobangkok.com
PattayaBob

Re: Lido Italian Restaurant - Bangkok

Post by PattayaBob »

GB, sounds great. Their website does not have map. Can you give us better directions from lets say The Pinnacle? Thanks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

PattayaBob wrote:Their website does not have map.
Actually, yes it does. Did you look in "Contact"? See: http://www.lidobangkok.com/contact.html . But I'll be glad to give you much more detail.

From the Pinnacle, when you exit the hotel turn left and walk up the soi toward the Malaysia Hotel. At the corner where you'll come to the Ibis Hotel and the 7-Eleven, turn left and walk up the soi about 150 meters.

Perhaps these images will also help, although the location will have slightly changed since they are moving. These are the current photos from Google Earth. Just to the right of the restaurant, that's the small soi where they're moving - between the image location of the Lido and the Kenny Guesthouse.

On this photo, that's the Malaysia Hotel on the right. See the 7-Eleven? That's where to turn left.

And about 150 meters up the soi, there's the Lido. On the main road, if you go to the end, the same direction the pink taxi is going, that's where the Malaysia and Ibis hotels are. That little soi to the left of the pink taxi is the soi where the Lido is moving.

That little table on the left, partially obscured by the plant, is where I ended up sitting a few nights ago because the restaurant was full inside. I was lucky to get that table too. Even the other table outside was occupied.

GPS coordinates are: N 13° 43' 15", E 100° 32' 50"
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I have been there a few times. Usually, they are full. On one occasion, I witnessed the owner complimenting another guest (who was nursing a cup of tea or a bottle of beer for hours, occupying a table that could seat 4 people) away.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Why would the owner compliment him for that? I don't understand.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Very clear directions, Gaybutton, thank you. I'll put it on my list for a visit next trip.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

The owner complimented the single guest out of the restaurant (to make space for other guests who were waiting for a table).
(Is that how you say "compliment someone out of a place"?)

I use this expression to show that is was in a face-saving way (in contrast to a bar owner who wrote on another board how he deals with customers who exchange phone number with his boys).
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I know English is not your first language. This is an incorrect use of the word "compliment".
Alex

Post by Alex »

lvdkeyes wrote:I know English is not your first language. This is an incorrect use of the word "compliment".
It's what is called a "false friend" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_friend). Christian's term is a literal translation of the German phrase, "jemanden herauskomplimentieren".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:a literal translation of the German phrase, "jemanden herauskomplimentieren".
Now that we've got that settled, back to the topic, please.