Hamburger recipe, lvdkeyes?

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Hamburger recipe, lvdkeyes?

Post by Gaybutton »

It seems that everyone is talking about how good the hamburger is at Corner Bar. So, I've gotta ask. Do you have a hamburger recipe? If you do, I'd like to try it.
lvdkeyes

Re: Hamburger recipe, lvdkeyes?

Post by lvdkeyes »

The trick is to find good beef and not get it too lean. A 15% fat to 85% lean is a good ration. Just form your patties, I like 3 to a pound or 150 gms. Don't overwork the meat, season well with salt and pepper just before grilling on charcoal grill. Grill over hot coals, turning only once. And, for Christ's sake, don't press down on the burger with the spatula. It just squeezes out the juice and flavor.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

lvdkeyes wrote:The trick is to find good beef and not get it too lean. A 15% fat to 85% lean is a good ration. Just form your patties, I like 3 to a pound or 150 gms. Don't overwork the meat, season well with salt and pepper just before grilling on charcoal grill. Grill over hot coals, turning only once. And, for Christ's sake, don't press down on the burger with the spatula. It just squeezes out the juice and flavor.
I gave myself food poisoning once by eating underdone meat, but I think that was just an isolated experience. However, speaking just for myself, I eat only well-cooked meats now. Agree about the spatula; it's only good for swatting flies and not while you're cooking hamburgers. (Maybe that's why I got sick!) :o
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

When grilling or roasting beef or lamb I like beef med rare an lamb. Slightly pink.......Don't tell that to an Englishman!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:The trick is to find good beef and not get it too lean. A 15% fat to 85% lean is a good ration.
The next question, then, is where do you buy your beef when you want to make hamburgers? If the beef doesn't have enough fat content, would you recommend mixing ground pork with it? If yes, by what proportions?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Ground meat should be cooked all the way through. A way to ensure your ground meat isn't tainted is to buy your beef in chunks and grind it yourself either with a grinder or food processor.

I prefer beef and lamb medium rare, but my bf won't eat it if it is even pink. BTW, he is not English. :lol:
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Gaybutton wrote:
lvdkeyes wrote:The trick is to find good beef and not get it too lean. A 15% fat to 85% lean is a good ration.
The next question, then, is where do you buy your beef when you want to make hamburgers?
Very good question. I'd like to know that, too. I am not a local, but every time I visit a grocery store in Thailand, I check out the meat department. There is usually only one small lonely package of ground beef sitting in the meat case. (See picture, lower left.) Otherwise, you might have to buy another cut of beef and grind it yourself.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I like to buy beef at Foodland, Villa or Macro. The imported beef is much better to buy than Thai beef. I would never add pork to hamburgers. You just have to look to see which beef has more fat and balance it out to the right proportion. I also don't buy prepackaged meats.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Villa market only! Two verities 150 baht a kilo...just the right amount of fat! This is what the Corner Bar uses for it's fabulous hamburgers!
don tang

Post by don tang »

lvdkeyes wrote:The trick is to find good beef and not get it too lean. A 15% fat to 85% lean is a good ration. Just form your patties, I like 3 to a pound or 150 gms. Don't overwork the meat, season well with salt and pepper just before grilling on charcoal grill. Grill over hot coals, turning only once. And, for Christ's sake, don't press down on the burger with the spatula. It just squeezes out the juice and flavor.
Don't add salt until after cooking as it draws out the juices..