cooking oil -what to use

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
kenaubkk

Re: cooking oil -what to use

Post by kenaubkk »

Once in awhile wrote:All this crap about canola oils being harmful is just that - crap.
But don't take my word for it:
the sites you quote focus on the rapeseed/erucic acid issue that was conclusively debunked years ago but they don't address the more recent issues such as the way canola oil is processed and the oxidation of the polyunsaturated component of canola oil - the results are highly inflammatory in your body when you ingest them, potentially contributing to heart disease, weight gain, and other degenerative diseases.

the food industry, its vested interest groups and most western governments have a lot to answer for in relation to the promotion of canola, soy and HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) as "healthy", and their opponents are not much better - there is so much miss-information about these days it is almost impossible for the average consumer to make an informed decision - so believe who you want to believe, but there is no canola oil in my cupboard!

ken
Once in awhile

Post by Once in awhile »

Whatever these recent concerns are about oxidation I couldn't find any credible sites that provide conclusive proof that there is a potential health problem. If you could provide some links I would be happy to respond.
Canola oil is still a healthier alternative to most other oils. If there is a concern over the way canola oil is processed one can always buy cold pressed oil.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

If we worry about whatever is the latest no-no we will go crazy trying to keep it all straight. Remember when they said eggs were the perfect food, then they were so bad for us, then 2 a week was OK and then and then and then?
Bob

Post by Bob »

lvdkeyes wrote:If we worry about whatever is the latest no-no we will go crazy trying to keep it all straight.
A fair number of people out there, having inherited constitutions prone to blood and heart issues, do have to worry about what they eat as it can and will damage their health and shorten their lives. It sounds like you, lvdkeyes, like myself, are one of the lucky ones that inherited constitutions that simply don't build up levels of the bad cholesterol in our blood streams.
Because of that, I can eat what I want and not worry about it. And I'd guess we're also lucky as we don't have to spend our money on all the expensive medications (Lipitor, for example) that the medical profession dispenses like drinking water.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Yes, I am lucky in that I don't need to worry about cholesterol.
I was not suggesting that people shouldn't watch what they eat. What I was saying is that following the latest crazes about what is good or bad for you is nuts. Just use common sense.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Out of sheer ignorance, my question is just how much frying would one have to do before any of these cooking oils would significantly affect health?
Once in awhile

Post by Once in awhile »

It's not so much a question of how much frying but what percentage of total calories consumed is made up of fat.
Even if you fry infrequently you would still use oil in salad dressings, marinades, baking etc.
With a tablespoon of oil being roughly 120 calories, based on the recommendations below, it wouldn't take long to reach your limit.
You also want to choose an oil low in saturated fat, like olive or canola.

How Much Fat Can I Eat?
Your Total Daily Calories
1,600 (recommended for older adults)
For comparison a Big Mac & Regular Fries is 1050 calories
Recommended Maximum Calories From Fat
400 to 560
Recommended Maximum Grams of Fat
44 to 62
Recommended Maximum Calories From Saturated Fat
112 or less
Recommended Maximum Grams of Saturated Fat
12 or less