Restaurant Reviews

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
2lz2p

Re: Restaurant Reviews

Post by 2lz2p »

I do like Mexican food. Here I usually eat at Mike's or Taquila Reef - so I am definitely interested in trying Red Palm - my question is how is the parking around the restaurant?

If you like couscous, try Aloo Couscous - it is on Pratamnak at Soi 4 (ground floor of hotel at the intersection - coming from Thappraya Road, it will be on your left). Has different meat choices and combo - plenty of couscous, a veggie style soup and the meat order - also a small container of Mediterranean hot sauce. Put some couscous on your plate, pour some of the soup on it, add the meat and hot sauce if desired. I haven't eaten there in a while, but when I did, I could stuff myself and then take the left over home for another complete meal the next day - I usually get the chicken (two chicken legs with thigh - eat one and take the other home).

I understand L'Olivier in Jomtien Complex is doing a couscous dinner on Fridays (I believe) - has anyone tried it?
lexusgs

Post by lexusgs »

Where is the Fire Station on 3rd Rd? I'd like to try and find the chippy please!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

2lz2p wrote:I am definitely interested in trying Red Palm - my question is how is the parking around the restaurant?
We just came back from Red Palm. I thought the food was quite good and the portions were large. We had Super Nachos, Beef Enchiladas and Tacos Al Carbon. There were three enchiladas with rice, beans, a little guacamole and pico de gallo. There were two tacos with the same sides. With 2 iced teas the total bill was 880 baht. Tip is "up to you". I would go there again. The don't have any dessert. :( I asked the waitress if she would tell the boss that churros would be nice. She said she would tell him.
Aloo Couscous
-

I completely agree about the quality and quantity of food, but on my recommendation some friends and I went there and the waiter must have been new because everything was a mix up and it took forever to get out food one by one. I would still return. The owner (?) manager (?) was very nice and apologetic and comped the dessert.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lexusgs wrote:Where is the Fire Station on 3rd Rd? I'd like to try and find the chippy please!
If you are on Third Road, coming from Pattaya Tai, heading toward Central Road (Pattaya Klang) almost directly across from Soi 27. Look for the Village Chippy sign on the right side of the road, only a couple blocks from Pattaya Tai.

The following may make it easier (Chaloem Phrakiat is the official name for Third Road)

http://www.soidb.com/en/pattaya/dine/re ... hippy.html

2lz2p wrote:I do like Mexican food. Here I usually eat at Mike's or Taquila Reef - so I am definitely interested in trying Red Palm - my question is how is the parking around the restaurant?
Parking will be the least of your problems. There is plenty of street parking. Most of the time you should have no trouble parking directly in front of the restaurant (unless these posts make the place suddenly real popular)
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

Its about time Pattaya had a Chinese restaurant.
I love Chinese food but can never find my Won Ton soup (short soup) or Chinese Style sweet and sour pork or Beef Sate there.

He will do well but the name Village Chinky sounds a bit offensive.
I think if you called someone a "chink" you would lose your job.

Im surprised theres not a "hooters" in Pattaya.
Does the Hard Rock CAfe come close to it ?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Maybe I am dense, but I can't seem to follow this thread - first talking about the Village Chippy for fish 'n chips and then talking about Chinese food at Village Chinky. What am I missing
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

lvdkeyes wrote:Maybe I am dense, but I can't seem to follow this thread - first talking about the Village Chippy for fish 'n chips and then talking about Chinese food at Village Chinky. What am I missing
View Gaybutton's embedded video and all will be clear.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:What am I missing
Apparently you're missing the video. Watch the video - all the way through. Then you'll understand why we're talking about the fish & chips and Chinese all in the same breath.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Ah! I very rarely look at video clips on the board. Now I am up to speed on what is going on, however, I think the name Village Chinky is inappropriate and would be offensive to Chinese people.
lexusgs

Post by lexusgs »

Not really, it's owned by 2 British guys and they clearly have targeted their market. The local Chinky is very popular in Britain and that is the terminology used....