Restaurant Reviews

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lexusgs

Re: Restaurant Reviews

Post by lexusgs »

Sure,

That sounds great! I think I only got 10 days left here now...let me know when you're ready.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I don't mind going to the dark side, except we always get lost and have a hard time finding places there. Unlike many Thais, my bf doesn't mind asking for directions.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Dodger wrote:For those of you who enjoy a good down-home meat & potatoes meal once in a while you have to try Rich Man's/Poor Man's in Jomtien. For Fish n' Chips - I still hold that the Pig N' Whistle on soi 7 PTY serves the best.
Thank you for those two tips, Dodger. I also try to stick with local fare, but sometimes my stomach gets a bit homesick.

An elementary school friend of mine was born in the US of British parents, and I was always so pleased to be asked to stay for dinner when his mother made Shepherd's Pie (at least, that's what I'm remembering her calling it). Does anyone know of a place in Bangkok, Pattaya or Jomtien that serves what they think is a credible version of this? Rick's mother used to say "oh, it's just common folk food - nothing special, dear". There's a restaurant I've found here that makes it and every so often I go there, but like I mentioned in my comment above: recipes vary from cook to cook, and I miss Mrs. B's - rest her soul.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I don't mind going to the dark side, except we always get lost and have a hard time finding places there. Unlike many Thais, my bf doesn't mind asking for directions.
I don't think you'll have that problem if you're trying to find Red Palm. For you, go up Theprassit to Sukhumvit. Turn left, and then make an immediate right at the traffic signal. That is Soi Khaotolo. Go up Soi Khaotolo. Continue past the railroad tracks and keep going. Start looking for soi numbers. You're going to go close to the top of the hill. Red Palm will be on your left at Soi 5, which is unmarked, but you'll see the street sign for Soi 7 at the end of the block. You should also be able to easily spot Red Palm's sign. If you get as far as the large open-air Thai market on the right, you went about three blocks too far.

Another one of my favorites is the Sure Park Steak House ( http://www.sureparkpattaya.com ). It's not difficult to find. You simply continue all the way up Soi Khaotolo to the top of the hill. You'll see a 7-Eleven at the top of the hill. Turn left and follow the road until you come to the next 7-Eleven. Turn right and follow the road until you come to a fork in the road. Go right on the fork, continue a few hundred yards and you'll see the sign for the Sure Park restaurant. Turn left at that sign and you'll spot it immediately.

Since you have a car, it's worth a trip out to "The Dark Side" one day to do some exploring around. You might be very surprised at what you'll find out here. If you have a GPS you can start keying in the places you find that might be of interest to you. There are a lot of good restaurants out here, and more opening up all the time. Some of the best ones are out by the reservoir. If you don't know how to get out there, from Thepprasit turn left on Sukhumvit and go to Soi Siam Country Club. That's the first traffic signal past Central Road (Pattaya Klang). Turn right on Soi Siam Country club and just follow the soi all the way out. Just before you get as far as the country club itself, the road curves sharply to the left. Follow the road and it will lead you out to the reservoir. There are a number of resorts and restaurants out by the reservoir. If you like Indian food, try The Fisherman. It's a hole in the wall and the food is very good.

If you want to read more about what's available out here, look at the following. Start at the last page and work your way backwards:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/172 ... -dark-side
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Thanks for the directions to Red Palm. We both like Mex. food, so we will try it. I am not much interested in steak houses, steak is my least favorite meat.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

his mother made Shepherd's Pie (at least, that's what I'm remembering her calling it). Does anyone know of a place in Bangkok, Pattaya or Jomtien that serves what they think is a credible version of this? Rick's mother used to say "oh, it's just common folk food - nothing special, dear". .
You probably won't find shepherd's pie here, since it is made with lamb. You will find cottage pie, (some call it shepherd's pie, but it isn't.) which is essentially the same thing, but is made with beef. The taste is similar, but not the same. I love lamb, so shepherd's pie is the one for me. Sadly, my bf, like most Thais, doesn't like lamb, so i don't make it at home.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Thanks for the directions to Red Palm. We both like Mex. food, so we will try it. I am not much interested in steak houses, steak is my least favorite meat.
Look at their online menu. They have plenty of items other than steak, all of which are good.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

lvdkeyes wrote:You probably won't find shepherd's pie here, since it is made with lamb. You will find cottage pie, (some call it shepherd's pie, but it isn't.) which is essentially the same thing, but is made with beef. The taste is similar, but not the same. I love lamb, so shepherd's pie is the one for me. Sadly, my bf, like most Thais, doesn't like lamb, so i don't make it at home.
Ah, I see. Thanks for that. I've never cared much for lamb but I still remember those dinners.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This week's PATTAYA MAIL has a review of The Village Chippy

http://www.pattayamail.com/893/dining.shtml
patexpat

Post by patexpat »

As a Yorkshire lad, fish and chips were a hefty part of my diet whilst growing up. Have to say I rate the Village Chippy VERY highly .... be it eat in, or like today we had lunch delivered to the office. Excellent quality, excellent cooking style and excellent taste - and very good value for money, especially compared to Gooses (where I was disappointed) and Simons, which I rate as mediocre and def. over priced.

I pigged out today .... fish and chips (B95), Spam fritter!! (B50) bread and butter (2 slice, B20) and mushy peas (B25) all delivered direct to my desk piping hot! Yes you can spot me easily - the one waddling to his car tonight!