Restaurant Reviews

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

Re: Ocean Cafe - Jomtien Beach All breakfasts 99 baht

Post by lvdkeyes »

travelerjim wrote:Open from 8:00am til 8:00pm. Staffed by good Waiter and excellent Cook.
On your recommendation we ate there this morning after my trip to immigration. The breakfast was very good, nice staff and you can't beat the price. My bf asked what time they open in the morning and the waiter told him 7am. A good place for early risers!
Gaybutton

Re: Restaurant Reviews

Post by Gaybutton »

gertrude wrote: On another restaurant,does anyone know the small restaurant on the corner to the laneway entrance,it always seems to be full.
This is in the Day Night area.
Cuisine au Buerre
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

That Ocean Cafe looks good,glad you tried it.Great pics TJ.

Yes, thank you. Cuisine au Buerre - whoever manages that knows what he's doing.
Gaybutton

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

Where would those of you who love fish & chips say serves the best fish & chips in Pattaya? Some say the best three are Simon's at Jomtien Complex, The Village Chippy ( http://www.thevillagechippypattaya.com ), and at the La Cage bar. From among those three, do you have a favorite? Are there others you would recommend?
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

If you go to THaivisa.com they have voted Simons at Jomtiem the worst Fish and Chips in Pattaya.
Many have voted the JOLLY FRIAR,THE VILLAGE CHIPPY and GOOSES as the best.

The British fish shop,formerly darkside was good apparently,but the owner was working 7 days a week with his thai wife cooking and put out a statement on Thaivisa.com that the profit was enough to keep open.
These fish and chip shops are now opening everywhere in Pattaya,they use to be like the Pizza places.

BOBS BQQ TEXAS RIBS I heard is good,currently for sale urgently for 500,000 b due to Bobs mother is sick.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Not being British I can only say I've enjoyed Simon's, but thought the potatoes were somewhat limp and greasy. Maybe that's the way they're supposed to be, I couldn't say. The portion was far more than I could eat, but the fish and coating were good, I thought.

It's somewhat like fried eggs: from past restaurant experience I can say there are as many opinions on what a "proper" over-medium egg is as there are people who order them. All I can say for sure is it's always risky trying to duplicate one person's idea of a traditional dish.

Reminds me of the Monty Python "Travel Agent" sketch I referenced the other day: "... and complaining about the tea - 'oh, they don't make it properly here, do they? Not like at home...' " :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gertrude wrote:If you go to THaivisa.com they have voted Simons at Jomtiem the worst Fish and Chips in Pattaya.
Many have voted the JOLLY FRIAR,THE VILLAGE CHIPPY and GOOSES as the best.
Yes, but I'm much more interested in what the members of this board think.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Not having eaten at The Village Chippy, Jolly Friar or Gooses I can't compare them, but I have eaten at Simon's many times, last night being the most recent, and I have always been very satisfied with their fish 'n chips.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

For those of you who enjoy a good down-home meat & potatoes meal once in a while you have to try Rich Man's/Poor Man's in Jomtien. Their meals are fabulous and you'll think your grandmother is back in the kitchen. I went there at the recommendation of friends last holiday and ended up making it my weekly stop-over for a much needed carb boost. They serve a broad range of meals, e.g., stuffed pork chops with apple-bread stuffing, real mashed potatoes and fresh veggies, grilled chicken breast with homemade dumplings and sweet peas, pasta with spicy Italian meatballs and garlic bread, a fabulous meatoaf with boiled red potatoes, and evan a REAL philly cheeze steak sandwich served on hot-out-of-the-oven crusty french bread and a hearty stack of steak fries. Their desserts are equly as inticing.

They are located along the main beach road about 1-1/2 kms down from the 7/11 which sits at the big bend in the road (near the police hut). Trave aboutl 1-1/2 kms and turn left at soi 9 and you will see their sign. Nothing fancy...very casual...shorts and sandals mostly.

For Fish n' Chips - I still hold that the Pig N' Whistle on soi 7 PTY serves the best.

I eat mostly Thai food while on holiday and prefer my live-in BF's home cooked meals over most restaurants, although always amazed at the quality of food you can get from those roving food venders. Chao pad gai - spicy noodle soup - sticky rice & mangos...always a treat.

BG...I also enjoy Mexican food once in a while and will have to give The Palms a try. I've been visiting the Blue Parrot out of desparation for years and always ask myself why.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

If my grandmother were in the kitchen I would hope it were my paternal grandmother, maternal one couldn't boil a decent cup of water.