English Muffin Bread

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

English Muffin Bread

Post by lvdkeyes »

I just tried this recipe and it is good and easier than making individual muffins.
English muffin Bread
1 packet (or 2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup warm water (100° F to 115° F)
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
7/8 cup (7 ounces) warm milk
1/4 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water

Combine the yeast, sugar and warm water in a large bowl; stir until the yeast and sugar are dissolved. Let the mixture sit until it proofs.
Add the flour, mixed with the salt and warm milk in alternate portions while stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon.
Holding the bowl tightly, beat the dough very hard until it shows some elasticity and looks almost ready to leave the sides of the bowl.
(Unlike a kneaded dough, however, it will remain loose and sticky.)
When it has an almost gummy quality, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
Stir down with a wooden spoon; add the dissolved soda and beat vigorously again for about 1 minute, being careful to distribute the soda thoroughly,
or else the bread will be streaked.
Then butter one 10-inch or two 8- by 4- by 2-inch loaf pans. Fill with dough, using a rubber spatula to scrape it from the bowl.
Let dough rise again in a warm place for 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Bake the bread in a preheated 375° F oven until it is golden on top and shrinks slightly from the sides of the pan, about 30-35 minutes.
Cool in pans for approximately 5-minutes, then turn out onto a rack.
(If necessary, loosen from edges of the pans with a knife.)
Cut into slices about 1/2-inch thick for toasting, and butter well.
Gaybutton

Re: English Muffin Bread

Post by Gaybutton »

For people like me, who have a bread machine and are too lazy to do it by hand, here's an English Muffin Bread recipe for bread machines:

English Muffin Bread

For those of you who don't feel like doing a lot of rolling and cutting, here's an English muffin bread developed for the bread machine. It makes a mild-flavored, light-textured 1 1/2-pound loaf, perfect for toast.

1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast

Program your machine for basic white bread, light crust. Midway through the second kneading cycle, check the dough; it should be soft, smooth and slightly sticky. Adjust the dough's consistency with additional flour or water, if necessary (as this recipe was developed in the dead of winter, when flour is at its driest, you may find you need to use more flour -- or less water -- in the summer.) For a true English muffin effect, remove the dough after either the final kneading or before the final rise and roll it in cornmeal. Place the dough back in the machine to rise and bake.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ ... ead-recipe
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Have you made this yourself?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Have you made this yourself?
Yes. The recipe works just fine and it comes out with that distinctive English muffin flavor. The texture doesn't come out like a true English muffin, though, but for a bread machine rather than hand made, it's good enough for me.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Comparing the two recipes makes me wonder what makes the nooks and crannies in the machine made version. The baking soda in the hand made version is what cause that. Would you consider trying the hand made version and see which one you like best? I don't have a bread machine.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Would you consider trying the hand made version and see which one you like best? I don't have a bread machine.
I will one of these days. In my case, even if I prefer the hand made version, I'll probably still stick with the bread machine. All you have to do is throw in the ingredients and turn it on. It may not be as good, but it sure is easier.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I agree that a machine made bread is easier, but I prefer hand made. Each slice is approximately the same volume as regular English muffins. I had a bread machine when I was in the US. I didn't like the shape of the bread or the hole in the bottom of the loaf. With this particular recipe I only spent about 2 minutes mixing by hand. There is no kneading involved, just a bit of vigorous beating.