Coffee

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Re: Coffee

Post by Gaybutton »

atri1666 wrote:I dont care about coffee in LOS because i never saw my favorite brands.
That is precisely the point. Give some of the Thai brands a try.
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

Gaybutton wrote:That is precisely the point. Give some of the Thai brands a try.
Have done already many times. Bought several brands in Tuk Com or friendship market and took them home for my saeco at work or my jura at home. Mostly have had luck and they are also without lots of acid. Every visit I buy 1kg of thai coffee to test it at home. I only buy coffee-beans because I like the coffee freshly ground on demand. Here in Germany I have a good dealer in Hamburg.
yedo111

Post by yedo111 »

I have a Boncafe machine at home and always buy their Boncafe espresso beans , only 80 baht .
Keyvan

Post by Keyvan »

Gaybutton wrote: Unfortunately, Nescafe instant seems to have cornered the market in far too many Thai restaurants. I don't like it at all. You can get real, good quality brewed coffee at some restaurants and places such as Starbuck's, but in most restaurants forget it. You're going to end up with Nescafe instant, and even then you're lucky if you get more than half a cup in a small coffee cup.
Being a serious coffee drinker I find that is one great deficiency in visiting Thailand....no decent coffee shops. I am afraid that I call Starbucks 'dishwater in a paper cup'. The whole Starbucks principle irks me, and the paper cup just rubs it in, now all the local chains are copying falsely believing that 'America knows best" once again!

Whilst the coffee beans and their roasting are important as are the blend selected, serious coffee can only be produced via an expresso machine, of top quality, operated by a trained barista and MOST importantly the machine must be cleaned properly EVERY day. Serious coffee is taken BLACK, either a SHORT or a LONG [extra water also going THROUGH the coffee beans, not added separately Americano style] espresso or a Macchiato with a small dob of cream on top of a short black.

If you drink cappuccine or latte then it matters little how it has been produced.

10 years ago Bali had the same problem as Thailand but now Quality expresso does exist [Bali Bakery, Kakiang, etc] although plenty of rubbish is still also on offer, often from great beans and expensive machines but zero knowledge.

And of course it is served in a proper ceramic coffee cup [NOT a mug either].
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Keyvan wrote:serious coffee can only be produced via an expresso machine
My goodness. Now I have to start apologizing for the way I like my coffee? Serious coffee? You mean it's not "serious" unless it's prepared the way you happen to like it? Personally, I don't like expresso at all, but I do like Starbucks. I think I'll stick with my non-serious coffee. You know why? Because that's what I like.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Keyvan wrote:Being a serious coffee drinker I find that is one great deficiency in visiting Thailand....no decent coffee shops. I am afraid that I call Starbucks 'dishwater in a paper cup'. The whole Starbucks principle irks me, and the paper cup just rubs it in, now all the local chains are copying falsely believing that 'America knows best" once again!
Whilst the coffee beans and their roasting are important as are the blend selected, serious coffee can only be produced via an expresso machine.
Instant coffee should never be served to customers. I usually check for the presence of coffee making equipment before ordering. If they still serve instant, it gets sent back.
You certainly do not need an expresso machine to produce serious coffee. After trialling various methods, I find good results can be obtained with a plastic cone and filter papers. After using such methods for years, I'm pleased to find some recent magazine articles by experts reaching similar conclusions.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

It seems as though Keyvan has more specific preferences for his coffee, and good for him, but when in Rome... and all that (although it's a given he'd find what he likes in Rome) so I'd say it's more realistic to settle for something less when traveling in a tea-centric country.

Like I said on the previous page, I bring a single-cup cone filter holder that will sit on a cup and brew one cup at a time. Stopping in at a coffee brewing shop in Thailand is a treat, but I don't do it often. The filter holder only weighs a few ounces and doesn't take up much space, if I pack stuff around it.