American Hot Dogs

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Re: American Hot Dogs

Post by Gaybutton »

let me tell u wrote:most of the medical profession advise not to eat HOTDOGS
The fact is any cured meats containing Sodium nitrite are known to be carcinogenic. Bacon, ham, corned beef, pastrami, bologna, salami, and all the rest would be included in that group. Hot dogs are no more or less dangerous than any of those. I would agree if you are eating those kinds of things on a daily basis, you're probably endangering yourself. However, since at least for me hot dogs are a only a once in a great while thing, I'll take my chances. I would feel more at risk with the possibility of choking on a hot dog than dieing of cancer from a hot dog.

Besides, in Thailand the hot dogs are so flavorless that I doubt I'll ever eat any of them again anyway. However, you might notice that Lvdkeyes' recipe does not include Sodium nitrite. I haven't tried the recipe yet, but when I do I doubt I'll feel as if I've got one foot in the grave when I bite into one. And please pass the sauerkraut and mustard . . .
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I will pass on the sauerkraut. Give me mustard, onion, pickle relish, wedge of tomato, spear of cucumber, 2 sport peppers and a sprinkle of celery salt. That's a Chicago hot dog!
let me tell u

Post by let me tell u »

Gaybutton wrote:
let me tell u wrote:most of the medical profession advise not to eat HOTDOGS
The fact is any cured meats containing Sodium nitrite are known to be carcinogenic. Bacon, ham, corned beef, pastrami, bologna, salami, and all the rest would be included in that group. Hot dogs are no more or less dangerous than any of those. I would agree if you are eating those kinds of things on a daily basis, you're probably endangering yourself. However, since at least for me hot dogs are a only a once in a great while thing, I'll take my chances. I would feel more at risk with the possibility of choking on a hot dog than dieing of cancer from a hot dog.

Besides, in Thailand the hot dogs are so flavorless that I doubt I'll ever eat any of them again anyway. However, you might notice that Lvdkeyes' recipe does not include Sodium nitrite. I haven't tried the recipe yet, but when I do I doubt I'll feel as if I've got one foot in the grave when I bite into one. And please pass the sauerkraut and mustard . . .
Yes doctor G.B there is no end to your talents……Trouble is the majority of HOTDOGS are not made by ‘lvdkeyes’ unfortunately. I can only go by what scientists tell me, and that is you should eat very few of them as they are dangerous there is much too much evidence to prove this :o
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

let me tell u wrote:I can only go by what scientists tell me, and that is you should eat very few of them as they are dangerous there is much too much evidence to prove this
Trust me on this - If you do not wish to eat hot dogs, nobody is going to force you to eat them.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Should we also debate the health risks of other things we ingest? I think the majority of us are intelligent enough to know what is good for us and what is not without anyone telling us. We all also have free will to take it or leave it.
let me tell u

Post by let me tell u »

lvdkeyes wrote:Should we also debate the health risks of other things we ingest? I think the majority of us are intelligent enough to know what is good for us and what is not without anyone telling us. We all also have free will to take it or leave it.
Yes of course look at smoking and drinking and taking Drugs we all have a choice thats true, but the looks of it moderate drinking is much safer?
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

Had the dog in front of MAKRO again yesterday. I found it very good. Natural casing, crunchy-wiener, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle relish, catsup, mustard, mayonnaise, chili sauce, and a steamed bun. 59 baht for the foot long dog, chips, and a soda. Yes the wiener is chicken and pork, not beef, but I was very pleased for what I can get in Thailand.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I was in the Emporium, Bangkok, today and saw this nice all stainless steel meat grinder with a sausage/hot dog attachment for 11,000B, marked down from 19,000. I considered buying it but then came to my senses and went into the Emporium food store and bought some "American Hot Dogs" made by S and P for 180B. Just had one, pretty good. I had to make my own relish with gherkins, onions and red peppers. Don't need a machine for that just chop chop.

Anyone interested in making your own dogs get over to the Emporium fast, there's only one on display.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Trongpai wrote:I was in the Emporium, Bangkok, today and saw this nice all stainless steel meat grinder with a sausage/hot dog attachment for 11,000B, marked down from 19,000. I considered buying it but then came to my senses.
I know I know ... went through the same angst in the same place last year when I stumbled across the DeLonghi Gran Dama Prima Donna #6620 espresso machine. I gave it some thought at 90,000 baht but realized that the wrath of Mr Suphot would come down like a brick shit house. I came to my senses and substituted a plate of khao mun gai (45 baht) in the Food Court instead.

One of these days:

Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

TheCornerBar wrote:Had the dog in front of MAKRO again yesterday. I found it very good.
On the strength of that I tried it again the other day. Everything about it was good except for one thing. The hot dog itself is the same as the rest of the hot dogs around here. It has absolutely no flavor. It's totally insipid. I took a bite of just the hot dog itself and that's the way it was. So, I'm still looking for a decent hot dog in Thailand.