Lvdkeyes - English Muffins Recipe?

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Lvdkeyes - English Muffins Recipe?

Post by Gaybutton »

Lvdkeyes, another thread was talking about Eggs Benedict. I think you said English muffins are relatively easy to make. Do you have a recipe?
lvdkeyes

Re: Lvdkeyes - English Muffins Recipe?

Post by lvdkeyes »

Here you are.

English Muffins

1 pound all-purpose or bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup warm milk
2 ounces melted butter

Sift the flour and salt in a bowl and leave in a warm place.

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm (105 degrees F) milk. Let froth, and then mix in the butter. Stir all the liquid into the warm flour and beat well until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 50 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Turn onto a well-floured board and knead, working in a little more flour, if necessary to make the dough easier to shape. Round up the dough, roll into a thick sausage shape and (using the sharpest knife you have) slice into 8 to 10 portions, each about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches thick. Shape each one into a round with straight sides. (Use a ring mold to make more uniform muffins.)

Put muffins onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with greased plastic wrap and put in a warm place to rise for 30-40 minutes or until springy to the touch. Leave room between muffins for expansion and be careful not to over-proof, as the muffins will become flabby and lose their shape.

Warm to moderate heat and grease a heavy skillet lightly. Lift the muffins carefully onto the skillet and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until pale gold underneath. Turn and cook the other side. Wrap the cooked muffins in a cloth and keep warm.

To serve, insert a fork into the side to split, toast and slather with butter.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Seems like a lot of work! What ever happened to "Thomas's Promises"?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

If you think it's too much work, don't make them. SIMPLE!
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

i do think that cooking is a bit of work, but it's worth it. You are eating healthy, it's fresher, the food tastes better, sometimes cheaper and you always know what all the ingredients are. I do appreciate all your efforts in posting these recipes, lvdkeyes. I found this English Muffin recipe so interesting. I didn't know a skillet was used in making them.

Please don't stop posting your recipes. They are a valuable asset to this board. Thank you for this contribution!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Thanks for that. I really don't pay much attention to those whose remarks have nothing constructive to say, only thinly veiled sarcastic remarks.