wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
let me tell u

Re: wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Post by let me tell u »

Sorry I can't that was over 20 years ago, I know it was a Vintage Armagnac.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Grimmy wrote:My recommendation is skip La Cage unless you are just looking for another bar to have another overpriced glass of mediocre wine.

However, I attend the Amari Hotel's end-of-the-month Wine Experience quite regularly. For about 700 Baht, you get unlimited glasses of wine and very tasty finger foods. The event lasts for an hour and a half and is usually themed around the wine's location: Italian, French, South African, Chilean, etc. If you are a Pattaya City Expats member, you get a 15% discount.

This Wine Experience happens the last Friday of every month. Highly recommended.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
I just now read the later additions to this thread. I personally had no problem understanding that the recommendation to skip Le Cage was if you wanted a fine wine. To me, at least, it was not a recommendation to skip Le Cage if I wanted something other than a fine wine. I don't get to the area much, but I found Le Cage to be a nice place to sit and drink while waiting for friends to arrive and then off to dinner in the area.

As for the Amari's wine experience - I have been going for several months and usually enjoy them except the last one held in the Ice Bar (Tower) - too many people in too small a place - fortunately, the next two were in the Garden (behind the Garden Wing) - it is outside and quite nice. As to the wines, I'm not sure that I would equate the wines served as being fine wines - most are good, but vary in quality. On two occasions, one of the featured wines has been Mont Clair (not sure, but I believe this is the wine served at Le Cage -- before being chastised because it is a box wine at Le Cage - I cannot tell much difference between the bottled Mont Clair and the box, but then I am not a Connie Sewer (misspelling deliberate for hopefully some humor).

That said, I would recommend Le Cage as a nice friendly place to sit and drink and the quality of the house wine is acceptable, especially at that price. I also recommend the Amari's Wine Experience - usually several varieties of wine often themed to a particular area, e.g., from South Africa (as is Mont Clair), South America, etc. Chef Jens usually creates several dishes from the country being featured (or something close to the food from the region). The price is 750 Baht net for all you can eat and drink from 6:30pm to 8:30pm -- as mentioned, for Pattaya City Expats Club members the cost is 638 Baht as they get a 15% discount at all the Amari's bars and restaurants.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lonelywombat wrote:It is sad that GB has missed the point.
I didn't miss anything. The line, "My recommendation is skip La Cage unless you are just looking for another bar to have another overpriced glass of mediocre wine" is absolutely inappropriate on this board. That's not recommending going to a place like Amari for fine wine. It's chopping apart La Cage, singling out La Cage, telling people not to patronize that bar, and telling people he is overpriced. That is an uncalled for put-down of La Cage. It's also in violation of the posting rule 2 that begins with, "I don't want to see any posts denouncing specific venues," and I'm not about to put up with that kind of posting on my board.

Recommending Amari is fine. If Grimmy or anybody else has a problem with La Cage, then he can damned well go over there and personally discuss it with the owner, but using my board to put down a gay venue, while hiding behind the anonymity of a screen name, is not going to be tolerated on this board, period.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

2lz2p wrote:On two occasions, one of the featured wines has been Mont Clair (not sure, but I believe this is the wine served at Le Cage -- before being chastised because it is a box wine at Le Cage - I cannot tell much difference between the bottled Mont Clair and the box, but then I am not a Connie Sewer (misspelling deliberate for hopefully some humor).
Mont Clair is blended and bottled in Thailand! It is some sort of concoction of South African wine and whatever has been added upon arrival in Thailand. Likely a ploy to avoid import duties.
It is wine?
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

I had the Mont Claire rep in the bar some months ago. He told me that his wine was so much cheaper because it is considered "made in Thailand" and therefore not subject to the 400% import duty. He said they bring the wine in tankers from South Africa, blend in 30% Thai grape juice, and enough grain alcohol to get the blend back to 13%. The addition of grape juice makes the wine sweeter and fruitier than what is made in South Africa.