Montecristo Restaurant

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
richsilver

Montecristo Restaurant

Post by richsilver »

Having read a number of (mostly) negative reviews of the the Montecristo Restaurant in Soi Day Night, I have never really had any desire to try the place. However, last night some friends wanted to go, so I joined them.

It was delightful and the three of us agreed we would return soon.

The food was superb: I had a lovely mixed salad and a very large flattened chicken breast with a nice mushroom sauce. The potatoes were like thick-cut homemade potato chips and vegetables truly delicious.

The atmosphere was lovely and the service top rate. The French owner stopped by our table a few times asking if we had any questions and to see if everything was OK.

My bill was under 500 baht, including a diet Coke (not exactly cheap at 70 baht, but not outrageous like the 100 baht at Poseidon).

I'm not sure what all the negative comments were that I've read in the past, but I encourage you to try it. I feel it's a very nice addition to the other three wonderful aircon restaurants nearby: Bordeaux, Chez Vickie and Dolphin.
RichLB

Re: Montecristo Restaurant

Post by RichLB »

richsilver wrote: I'm not sure what all the negative comments were that I've read in the past, but I encourage you to try it.
I'm pleased to read they have changed. To fill you in on previous complaints, they referred to atrocious service, mini portions of food, and a charge of 80 baht for water. After requesting the check, we were forced to wait 45 minutes for it to be presented - and we were the only customers. Our included dessert never arrived. We discussed our problem (politely (believe it or not) with the French owner and were told to take it or leave it and no apology was ever delivered. We all elected to take the latter option and "leave it" and have never returned. I'm glad to read your experience was different and hope that our visit was the exception and yours the rule there now.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:I'm glad to read your experience was different and hope that our visit was the exception and yours the rule there now.
Me too. I'll give it another try at some point based on Richsilver's post, although I still don't like the idea being charged 80 baht for the same water, same brand, I can get at any 7-Eleven for 10 baht. There are certainly plenty of other good restaurants where prices are more reasonable. Excellent food or not, I just don't like feeling ripped off. It also makes me wonder if the rest of the menu is similarly marked up. In any case, I haven't been there since that incident with RichLB, but as I said, I'm willing to give it another try.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I go by Montecristo almost every day and it is a rarity to see any customers there. I think they just don't get the plot! The last thing that Soi needed was another French restaurant. I would love to see someone take it over and maybe call it Montebello and offer good Italian food at sensible prices, away with the glitz bring on the red and white table cloths and don't forget the straw rapped Chianti bottle with a candle in it. Keep it simple and someone might have a chance!
Ivdkeyes put your chiefs' hat on. :?: