Clicking on Links

Do you want a modification that causes links to open in a new tab?

Leave the board as is
21%
Open links in a new tab
64%
It doesn't matter to me
14%

Total votes: 14

Gaybutton

Clicking on Links

Post by Gaybutton »

The way this board software is written, if you click on a link within a post it will open in the same window as the one that's open while you are reading this board. There may be a mod available to cause the link to open instead in a new tab. I haven't looked for such a mod just yet, but if one exists I want to know what you think. As it is right now you can right-click on a link and choose to have the link open in a new tab or new window.

What do you want to do?
Jun

Re: Clicking on Links

Post by Jun »

Getting this site shut down just because I clicked a link is is illogical. That defeats the whole object of tabbed browsing.

I'm reading this site, I click a link and after reading it, it is more convenient to close the tab and still have this site open.
I use Firefox & the "Tab Mix" add on to persuade most links to open in a new window. Unfortunately, that does not work in Ting Tong or here.
penguin

Post by penguin »

It is apparently "not good web etiquette" for a website to open links in new tabs or windows. But to hell with etiquette, it makes sense in terms of ease of navigation to utilise tabs. I tend to use right click most of the time, but I like it when a website does it for me.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

It doesn't matter to me, because I right-click links anyway to open them in new tabs. This has the advantage that I can continue reading and go to the link in the new tab after it has loaded completely (while I was still reading the page where I found the link).
TOQ

Post by TOQ »

Open links in a new tab. You dont want people leaving your site
kenaubkk

Post by kenaubkk »

most modern browsers allow a user to select to open a link in the same tab, a new tab or a new window, the user can make the decision based on their preference on how and when they want to navigate between the various pages they have open - the user is in control and things work the way the user wants and expects it to work

when different web sites make different arbitrary decisions on forcing links to open in a new tab or window the user is no longer in control and experienced users are frustrated and other users are often confused when the back function does not work or they cant find the tab they want

leave the control in the users hands
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

kenaubkk wrote:most modern browsers allow a user to select to open a link in the same tab, a new tab or a new window
On this board, is that working for you? It's not working for me. I do have my browser set to open links in a new tab, but none of the links here do that despite the setting. As it stands right now, the only way I'm able to get a link to open in a new tab, on this board, is to right-click the link and select the open in new tab option. That's why I'm going to look for a mod to fix that if that's what the board users want. Whether such a mod even exists, I don't yet know.
penguin

Post by penguin »

I do have my browser set to open links in a new tab, but none of the links here do that despite the setting
If you're using Firefox, that setting will only open links in a new tab if they would otherwise have opened in a new window. So you would have to change the settings for links for the board in order for that to start working.

If you're not using Firefox, then ignore me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

penguin wrote:If you're not using Firefox, then ignore me.
So that's it. I do use Firefox. By the way, listen, would you be particularly upset if I ignore you anyhow . . . ?
penguin

Post by penguin »

Gaybutton wrote:So that's it. I do use Firefox. By the way, listen, would you be particularly upset if I ignore you anyhow . . . ?
Not at all. I'd be relieved.