Black Faces

fountainhall

Black Faces

Post by fountainhall »

As Virginia and the rest of the USA are again debating the racial divide with two of the top three officials admitting to blacking up their faces or donning KKK hoods (at least one admitted and then retracted) in the 1980s, it seems odd that other countries are not following suit. When I was a child growing up in the UK, there was a popular make of jam (by Robertson's, I think) that used a golliwog as a mascot. Collect a number of those mascots and you could change them for an enamel golliwog badge! At that time I never saw nothing wrong with the 3 or 4 pins I collected.

Even worse, I guess, was the hugely popular BBCTV series The Black and White Minstrel Show with the black half being white guys blacked up. I did not care for it but my father loved it. It was to run for 20 years, ending only in 1978 after many accusations of racism had surfaced.
windwalker

Re: Black Faces

Post by windwalker »

As a youth, from 5th to 12th grade, I lived in a racially mixed town and never had I seen anyone in blackface. This was in the Middle Atlantic States/USA. Furthermore, in my university years, again blackface was never seen.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I suppose I must be insensitive. Sure, I see sporting black face next to a KKK costume as offensive - assuming the antics of the boys was not ridiculing the KKK member. But imitating Michael Jackson and wearing black face... Why is that racist? It seems to me that dressing up in Michael Jackson garb to dance in a Jackson style would look incongruous if the kid didn't complete the portrayal by altering his appearance. Wouldn't it be more offensive to deny Jackson's ethnicity? What's next? Should we castigate any Hollywood actor who portrays someone not of his race? How about cross dressers? Or even straight actors taking roles as gay people. I think we're taking PC far too far.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I think a white person dressing up as Michael Jackson, or any other black person, and would require blackface was a pretty stupid decision in the first place. However I also really don't care very much about what this guy did 30 or 40 years ago even if it was racist. Suppose it was? Maybe he learned his lesson a long time ago. What interests me is if this man is racist now and what, if anything, is in his record to indicate one way or the other.

He does seem to be lying about it though. That is the part I object to. We get enough lies from Trump.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:I think a white person dressing up as Michael Jackson, or any other black person, and would require blackface was a pretty stupid decision in the first place.
Pretty stupid considering Michael Jackson took all sorts of patent nostrums to make his face more white! :o
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Pretty stupid considering Michael Jackson took all sorts of patent nostrums to make his face more white! :o
Very good point. And when Michael Jackson tried to morph himself white, I don't recall anyone calling him a racist. Many people had a lot of names they called him, but I don't remember "racist" being among them.

I agree with RichLB on this one. I too think this political correctness crap and so easily labeling people racist has gotten way out of proportion and way out of control.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

RichLB wrote:I think we're taking PC far too far.
We are now at a point where people should be aware of our ethnic diversity and not offend others by use of black face or other possibly insulting means. It is quite obvious that the photo of the guy in black face standing next to KKK guy was intentional and not some college prank.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Very good point. And when Michael Jackson tried to morph himself white, I don't recall anyone calling him a racist.
There are certainly double standards in the whole racism debate.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I think the black face episode is much ado about nothing, the KKK thing is a horse of a different color!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

"the hugely popular BBCTV series The Black and White Minstrel Show."
The music was great though.