Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: George Bush Sr. Dead @ 94

Post by Gaybutton »

George H.W. Bush dead at 94

By Stephen Collinson, CNN

December 1, 2018

(CNN) - Former US President George H.W. Bush has died at age 94 in Houston, according to his spokesperson.

Born into privilege and a tradition of service, Bush was a son of a senator, celebrated World War II combat pilot, student athlete, Texas oilman, Republican congressman, national party chairman, pioneering diplomat and spy chief. After his own 1980 presidential campaign came up short, he served two terms as Ronald Reagan's vice president before reaching the pinnacle of political power by winning the 1988 presidential election, soundly defeating Democrat Michael Dukakis.

After losing the White House in 1992, Bush became a widely admired political elder who leapt out of airplanes to mark birthday milestones. Emphasizing the generosity of his soul, he forged a close -- and unlikely -- friendship with Democrat Bill Clinton, the man who ended his presidency. When Parkinson's disease mostly silenced him in public, Bush flashed his sense of humor by sporting colorful striped socks.

Bush's death comes after his wife of 73 years, Barbara Bush, passed away on April 17 at age 92. Before her funeral, Bush was pictured in a wheelchair gazing at his wife's flower-covered casket, in a moment that encapsulated their life-long love affair.

The first sitting vice president to be elected to the presidency since 1836, Bush was also only the second person in US history to see his own son follow in his presidential footsteps when George W. Bush was elected in 2000.

In addition to the 43rd president, Bush is survived by his son Jeb, the former Florida governor and 2016 presidential candidate; sons Neil and Marvin; daughter Dorothy; and 17 grandchildren. His daughter Robin died of leukemia as a child, a tragedy that still moved Bush deeply late in his life. He will be buried alongside her and the former first lady at his presidential library in College Station, Texas.

Funeral arrangements will be announced at a later time, according to the statement released by Bush's spokesman Jim McGrath.

Full story: https://us.cnn.com/2018/12/01/politics/ ... index.html
Jun

Post by Jun »

The last good Republican president.

Although this is a view from a UK resident, so I'm less well qualified to assess this than most US citizens.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote:The last good Republican president.

Although this is a view from a UK resident, so I'm less well qualified to assess this than most US citizens.
That has never stopped Brits before :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Undaunted wrote:
Jun wrote:The last good Republican president.

That has never stopped Brits before :!:
.....and it won't stop me this time either. Just another thieving, war mongering piece of vermin. Jnr would never gone to war with Iraq without daddy first sticking his oar in. Dead politicians, a reason to dance merrily around the room. Fingers crossed Jnr is re-united with daddy shortly.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:.....and it won't stop me this time either.
That's very harsh, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Your post reminds me of Bette Davis's reaction when she heard Joan Crawford had died. She said, "My mother taught me never to speak bad of the dead - only good. Joan Crawford is dead. Good!"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:Your post reminds me of Bette Davis's reaction when she heard Joan Crawford had died. She said, "My mother taught me never to speak bad of the dead - only good. Joan Crawford is dead. Good!"
An apt comment given that "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" was on TCM just last week.

There was something about Bush that was likeable and some things that were not. Perhaps we have a tendency to forget that the coalition to go into Iraq was not to remove a dictator but to punish Saddam for his invasion of Kuwait. He needed Kuwait's oilfields because the 8-year war of attrition he started with Iran had emptied his coffers. Saddam's side in that war was, of course, heavily subsidised by none other than America, the UK and their allies. Should Bush have finished the job and gone all the way and toppled Saddam? With hindsight I suspect he should. The world might then have been spared all the horrors that still bedevil that part of the world. On the other hand, no-one had planned for that - exactly as Bush Jnr. hadn't the faintest clue what he was doing after dubiously assuming he had the authority to push Saddam from power barely a decade later.

It seems to me that the problem with superpowers and colonisers is that basically they really do not have nearly enough expertise at their fingertips about the parts of the world they intend to conquer or, as we have seen since World War 2, to defend. It has been thus throughout much of history. I have a feeling, though, that history will point to Bush's statement "The Cold War is over - we won it!" as one of the most mistaken misunderstandings of the future direction of the world.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote:.....and it won't stop me this time either.
That's very harsh, but you are entitled to your opinion.
I don't see it as being harsh at all. There's a phrase along the lines of "you can tell the man by the company he keeps" and in this case we're looking at a guy who was very matey with the evil witch that was Thatcher. Her death day was the only day in my life I regret being a non drinker, I'd have got absolutely smashed that day if I did. The type of 'person' (if I must call it that) that she was is typified just this morning in one of our newspapers.

You'll recall the tragedy of the Lockerbie plane bombing? Reports today tell of a memo from that day from a UK govt cabinet meeting, just hours - HOURS - after the tragedy which caused the lives of 270 people. HER and her scummy, scummy reptiles of the Tory party discussed plans to keep the compensation claims to a minimum. At a time when the country was feeling devastated by an act of atrocity THAT was what they focused on, how to keep the costs down.

Will I ever feel a single pang of sympathy over the death of a politician? - NEVER.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

What we know about George H.W. Bush's funeral

by Grace Segers, CBS News

December 1, 2018

Former President George H.W. Bush, who died late Friday, will be given a state funeral at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.

President Trump will designate Wednesday as a national day of mourning, said White House press secretary Sarah Sanders. The White House has already lowered its flag in honor of the former president. Sanders said Mr. Trump and first lady Melania Trump will attend the funeral.

The White House also issued a proclamation ordering that the American flag be flown at half-staff at the White House and on all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, on all naval vessels, and at U.S. consulates and embassies abroad for 30 days.

Bush is expected to lie in state at the Capitol before his funeral. According to his website, the Bush family is partnering with the Department of Defense's Task Force-National Capital Region to make arrangements for the funeral. Bush is expected to be interred at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas.

The exact dates and times for ceremonies in Texas and in Washington are not yet available. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced that Mr. Bush's body will lie in state in the Capitol from Dec. 3 at 5 p.m. to Dec. 5 at 7 a.m. ET.

Global News Canada reported that former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney will give a eulogy at Mr. Bush's funeral.

Mr. Trump did not attend the funeral of Mr. Bush's wife, former first lady Barbara Bush, in April of this year, although first lady Melania Trump did attend.

The last major funeral in Washington was that of Arizona Sen. John McCain, a vocal critic of Mr. Trump. The president did not attend McCain's funeral, where former Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama spoke. It is unclear how the former presidents will react to Mr. Trump at Mr. Bush's funeral. Mr. Trump ran on reversing Mr. Obama's legacy, and defeated Mr. Clinton's wife, Hillary, in the 2016 presidential election.

The elder Mr. Bush was also not a fan of Mr. Trump's, according to a May 2016 interview with Mark K. Updegrove in his book, "The Last Republicans." He said that he thought Mr. Trump was driven by "a certain ego," and that he didn't "like" Mr. Trump.

"I don't know much about him, but I know he's a blowhard," Mr. Bush added. "And I'm not too excited about him being a leader."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-h-w ... 018-12-01/
James the First

Post by James the First »

Let not anyone's dim recollections forget......

This was the second president in a row who ignored the AIDS crisis.