DBALP Wins Design for Bangkok Airport Terminal Amid Claims of Plagiarism

Captain Swing

DBALP Wins Design for Bangkok Airport Terminal Amid Claims of Plagiarism

Post by Captain Swing »

I didn't know they were planning a new terminal. Can't anything happen anywhere (not just Thailand) without there being some controversy involved?

https://www.archdaily.com/901022/dbalp- ... plagiarism

"The architecture practice DBALP Consortium has been selected to design the new terminal of Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport. Led by Duangrit Bunnag, the firm was chosen after approval from the Airports of Thailand (AOT) board of directors. The scheme was designed to reference Thailand's lush landscapes by immersing passengers in a ‘forest’ environment. The proposal has received claims of plagiarism for copying Kengo Kuma's Yusuhara Wooden Bridge Museum in southern Japan."
fountainhall

Re: DBALP Wins Design for Bangkok Airport Terminal Amid Claims of Plagiarism

Post by fountainhall »

My only comment on the design is that it looks very small for a second terminal. How many planes can park at gates I wonder? Doesn't look like many.

I wonder - cough, cough - if the selection of the architect had anything to do with the fact that the Bunnag family is one of the most important in Thailand. Originally of Persian descent, they moved to Thailand early in the 17th century. One of architect Duangrit Bunnag's ancestors was Chao P''raya Suriyawongse Bunnag who was the Regent during the minority of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). I believe his father or uncle was Foeign Minister ten years ago.