Elon Musk Is Doubling Down on the Pedo Thing

fountainhall

Re: Elon Musk Is Doubling Down on the Pedo Thing

Post by fountainhall »

It becomes more curious. Prior to yesterday's massive party for the boys and their rescuers, there was a photo call at Siam Paragon organised by the Culture ministry. The Mall is hosting an exhibition about the rescue which will soon travel to other parts of the country. The boys were sitting on a small stage behind - Musk's mini sub!! What gives here?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

It is a shame these boys are not able to lead a normal life and have become part of a circus through no fault of their own!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Honestly, I think the government has done very well in actually preventing them from becoming a circus. They had one major media conference after leaving hospital. Given the worldwide interest and worldwide involvement in their rescue, that was inevitable. I thought the boys acquitted themselves amazingly well. There was one more media event when they became novices and one American network was able to do short interviews with pre-vetted questions.

Yesterday, the boys not only had a chance to visit Bangkok for the first times in their lives, they could thank their rescuers in person. Again I think that is very far from unreasonable given the number of people who literally risked their lives to save them.

As for leading normal lives, the boys themselves said yesterday that they could not understand why their school friends did not ask them about their time in the cave. This was because councillors had asked them to avoid the subject.

I agreed earlier with another poster who wrote that these boys are an amazing bunch and a terrific advertisement for Thailand. I cannot see that their lives have been affected in anything other than positive ways since leaving hospital.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

This story has become the neverending story and the boys are now being exploited as political pawns and are being used to enhance tourism, I fear this will not be the final circus act!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Elon Musk really does seem to be going off the rails. In the wake of his smoking marijuana on a live web podcast, two more of this senior executives have resigned - one joined the company only a month ago - and the company's share price fell again on Friday, this time by 6%.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... e-web-show
Captain Swing

Unsworth files suit in L.A.

Post by Captain Swing »

"A British diver who helped rescue youth soccer players trapped in a cave in Thailand is suing Elon Musk, alleging that the Tesla CEO falsely accused him of being a pedophile.
Diver Vernon Unsworth, who lives north of London, contends that Musk made the false allegation on Twitter and then repeated multiple other falsehoods after the dramatic rescue of a dozen youth soccer players and their coach in July.
The lawsuit filed in Los Angeles federal court Monday seeks more than $75,000 in damages and a court order stopping Musk from making further allegations. Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment."....

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... uy-tweets/

https://www.sfgate.com/business/technol ... 235712.php
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

The fact that the diver is only seeking $75,000 makes me wonder if he is hoping that Musk will pay this small amount out of court and prevent a trial which the diver might not want.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

A very good point. In the USA a lawsuit for $75,000 for such a serious allegation seems less than peanuts. Even if he wins and gets costs awarded, after the lawyers have taken their cut there surely won't be much left for Unsworth.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

This is just a guess, but possibly Unsworth isn't alleging--and can't show--that he suffered any financial loss from Musk's comments. His reputation was damaged, but he didn't lose a job or otherwise suffer financially. Therefore he's not suing for millions. Also he's expected to file a second suit in the UK, where he apparently lives (or maybe he's just a UK citizen) and possibly that suit could be for more. But--obviously--I don't know any more than anyone else. Maybe he'd be satisfied with a symbolic victory, plus legal expenses.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Captain Swing wrote:Also he's expected to file a second suit in the UK, where he apparently lives (or maybe he's just a UK citizen) and possibly that suit could be for more.
I seem to recall that libel laws are more favourable to potential damage to a plaintiff's reputation in the UK.