Gone But Not Forgotten

Undaunted

Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Undaunted »

After 17 years DNA reveals identity of 9/11 victim:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 64961.html

It is hard to believe this waa 17 years go. I was asleep after returning fron a long business trip my phone rang it was my sisterinlaw she said turn on the TV I saw the secund tower crumble. I walked ouside it was very quite only the sound of military jets transversing the sky as i looked in tne direction of what was the Twin Towers they were replaced by a huge black mushroom cloud. That same evening a womam friend that lived in the same condo and I went to a nearby restaurant that had a piano player she played the National Anthem and America The Beautiful, everyone in the restaurant stood up and joined the singing.
Can you remember where you were and what you were doing?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Can you remember where you were and what you were doing?
I was at work when a co-worker ran in and said you've got to come right now and look at the TV with us. You won't believe what's going on.

I can also remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard about the JFK assassination, saw on live TV Jack Ruby killing Lee Harvey Oswald, watching the Apollo 11 blast off and moon landing, and what arguably might be one of the worst moments in history - the moment it was announced that Trump had won the election.
gerefan

Re: Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by gerefan »

I was on a trip to the USA to visit the Reno Air Races. I had passed through New York the evening before and my flight to San Francisco was delayed and didn’t arrive there until 2 a.m. By the time I got a car and a motel room it was 4 or 5 a.m.

So the next morning, Sept 11, I got up late ready to check out at midday. I turned on the TV and went for a shower. When I came back I sat down and watched what I thought was a demolition programme....except it was on every channel!

Went to Reno but the Air Races were cancelled so spent a fortnight as a regular tourist elsewhere. I checked out of the Hotel and was mega impressed when they refunded the premium rates they charge for the Air Race week.