Elon Musk Calls Cave Rescue Diver Pedophile

fountainhall

Re: Elon Musk Calls Cave Rescue Diver Pedophile

Post by fountainhall »

windwalker wrote:The cave rescue diver said Musk could “stick his submarine where it hurts,” and that it had “absolutely no chance of working.”
It so happens it was Vern Unsworth's intimate knowledge of the cave after six years of exploring it that resulted in the expert divers from the UK being called in to be part of the rescue mission. He knew the Navy SEALS had no chance in the cave without expert help. Without that information and request, who knows how this might all have ended up.
Mr Unsworth’s intimate knowledge of the cave system, which he described as “second home” after spending six years exploring it, proved pivotal in the rescue mission.

He pinpointed the location where believed the team would have taken refuge, and they were later found 200 metres away from that spot.

Mr Unsworth also put Thai authorities in touch with three British experienced divers who were the first to find the Wild Boars, 1.5 miles inside the caverns.

As it turned out, it was the former Chiang Rai governor who turned down Musk's request to help.
"The chief of the rescue mission described the device as “not practical” for the operation, which required squeezing the boys through tight, jagged passageways."
Unsworth, who by this stage was probably exhausted from his part in the rescue mission, was equally unimpressed -
Mr Unsworth described Musk’s offer to help as “just a PR stunt”.

“He can stick his submarine where it hurts,” he told CNN. “It had absolutely no chance of working. He had no conception of what the cave passage was like."
Like Trump, Musk is not someone who likes criticism. However innovative and brilliant he might be, raising the spectre of the diver being a "pedo" was a disgraceful response both for Unsworth and Thailand and I hope he is sued.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47166.html
Jun wrote:Musk just seized the PR opportunity & flew all the way to Thailand to try & grab some glory by putting forward an ineffective solution
But the fact is he didn't just happen to fly to Thailand. That is another myth being promoted. As widely reported he was on his way to Shanghai for business meetings the following day. He merely detoured to Thailand. Had he not been due in Shanghai, I very much doubt if he would have flown all the way to Chiang Rai.
Tesla Inc.’s Elon Musk is due to be in Shanghai at an event with the government on Tuesday . . . The chief executive officer also plans to visit Beijing on Wednesday and Thursday
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... government
Jun

Post by Jun »

windwalker wrote:
Undaunted wrote:I have followed the amazing career of Musk for years and there can be little doubt that he is brilliant however, as the article above states he claims to have been provoked what was the provocation?
The cave rescue diver said Musk could “stick his submarine where it hurts,” and that it had “absolutely no chance of working.”
The statement that it has absolutely no chance of working is most probably fact, as the description of the tunnel implies the sub is too large. An expert diver who has been up the tunnel would know. Elon Musk would not know.

So that's not a justification for calling the diver a pedo. Musk has no proof & no evidence, so his comments are just defamatory & unfounded.

Incidentally, if Musk DOES know it will fit up the tunnel, he should respond with details of the tunnel dimensions and the sub dimensions.

I believe the stick it up his arse comment was in response to Musk promoting a completely ineffective solution. That is fair and not defamatory. Exactly the kind of insult that is appropriate for someone proposing a solution which they know has almost no chance of working.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:someone proposing a solution which they know has almost no chance of working.
That's the question. At the time, did Musk know the mini sub idea could not have worked? If he knew that, then why would he have proposed it? That wouldn't make any sense.

Again, while the mini sub idea would not have worked, there was also his waterproof tunnel idea. I haven't heard anyone say that couldn't have worked. The problem with that idea probably would have been there was not enough time to make and install it, but I believe at the time that was being discussed the idea of having the boys remain in the cave until the water receded was still on the table and still nobody seemed to know how they were going to get those boys out of there.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Jun wrote:someone proposing a solution which they know has almost no chance of working.
That's the question. At the time, did Musk know the mini sub idea could not have worked? If he knew that, then why would he have proposed it? That wouldn't make any sense.
1 I've read several analyst reports on Tesla. Some of them publish a long list of lies, allegedly made by Mr Musk. Complete with the quotation he allegedly made & then what really happened later. These allegations are made by what I consider to be several credible sources.

2 Anyone following this will have read the parts about the tunnel being so small the divers need to remove the air bottle before going through. That should cause anyone with technical competency to question if the sub will fit up the tunnel, before proposing it. Also, the sub is a long & rigid cylinder.

A proper gentleman with some humility would look at the facts & state something like "You' guys are right, it won't fit, I ****ed up, sorry"
Or he could just prove them wrong by sailing the thing all the way to Pattaya Beach.

Also, perhaps a pipe could fit up the tunnel. If Musk could source a rigid suitable pipe and fit it up the tunnel before the rain got worse, fine.
What he actually suggested was inflating something with air pressure. So if he could source the tube and the air locks needed at each end to hold the air pressure, then send those air locks up the tunnel, it might work. [The air locks need to fit people in and again may not fit]

In a similar line of fancy ideas, I could get a tunnel boring machine as surplus from some construction project and dig a full sized tunnel.
Like his fancy rockets, that COULD be made to work. Just not in the right kind of timescale.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:there was also his waterproof tunnel idea. I haven't heard anyone say that couldn't have worked.
I suspect because they just laughed it off. From what we know about the tunnel, there were sections where the ground was quite jagged and other parts where there was precious little height. We also know the boys were too weak. They would not have had the strength to clamber through even a part of it, the more so as they would effectively be climbing uphill much of the trip. With time for determining the right material and testing it thoroughly, perhaps . . . But Musk was far too late with both ideas.
odd

Post by odd »

I'm with Jun and Fountainhall on this. I just hope that Musk will drop off in Chiang Rai on his next trip to Asia so that he can demonstrate to us all how his contraption would remove all 13 people within 3 days safely. This was the requirement.His visit would end all squabbling. But...will he come...?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Another good reason for that diver to sue. Musk has just settled out of court for using without permission a farting unicorn motif - no, that's not a misprint - a farting unicorn which another guy had drawn as a tribute to electric vehicles. A potter, Tom Edwards, had used the motif on one of his mugs in 2010.
Edwards’ lawyer sent a polite letter to Tesla in May seeking a discussion and mutual decision over the company’s continued use of the farting unicorn motif, but received no reply.

After Edwards’ daughter raised it on Twitter, Musk replied: “He can sue for money if he wants, but that’s kinda lame. If anything, this attention increased his mug sales.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -elon-musk