NATO

fountainhall

Re: NATO

Post by fountainhall »

If I lived in the Baltic States with their large proportion of Russians, I would now be more than extremely concerned.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

firecat69 wrote:It really is much more complicated then most understand.

1. It is easy to forget that we did not want Germany to arm itself for easy to understand reasons for quite some time .

2. The 2% really has nothing to do with NATO but an idea that each member of Nato should spend 2% of its GDP on military. Lost in this discussion is that the European NATO countries combined already spend more on the Military then the Soviet Union. It is not the fact that the US has to spend what some member countries do not put up. Trump tries to say they should pay the 4% that the US spends. First of all US does not spend 4% on its military and much of what it spends are in areas of the world not having anything to do with NATO.

3. Dopes like Trump forget or never knew that the NATO members provide Military Bases all over Europe which the USA uses and if they had to pay for them it would be $ Billlions. These bases are used for all sorts of missions that have nothing to do with Europe or the NATO precepts.

4. The only time Article 5 has been invoked where all NATO countries must come to the aid of a member attacked , was when the USA was attacked on 9/11. NATO members not only rallied to our defense but lost blood and treasure in supporting us. Trump has no idea of any of this or if he does he is too stupid to understand it.
And when USA spends 4% of GDP on defense that includes non-NATO counties, for example, Panama, Phillipines, Japan, Korea, Pacific fleet, etc. Do we really want to re-arm Germany, Japan? A small NATO country like Slovakia, Iceland, Denmark spending 2% of GDP may be asking a lot.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I just watched his press conference at NATO. If Trumps lips are moving he is bold face lying.

Some other simple facts . US does not spend 4% on military but rather this year it will be 3.3% and will decline every year after that eventually settling about 2.7%. The problem is the Press asks stupid questions . I watched the press conference on Morning Joe on MSNBC which I consider by far the best morning news program.

Every time Trump lied, Joe Scarborough would interrupt with the true facts. Naturally he had to constantly interrupt because if Trumps lips are moving, he is lying!

President Macron just gave his press conference and politely said Trump lied about everything he said that was agreed to in regard to % that countries agreed to spend on their military.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-nato- ... 25709.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:If Trumps lips are moving he is bold face lying.
Either that or he just plain doesn't know. Isn't it reassuring to know that with a little bit of simple research anyone can easily know more than Trump knows? And he's the President of the United States !!!!!!!

When it comes to Trump's lies, he probably follows:

"The bigger the lie, the more people will believe it."
- Josef Goebbels

Great! We have a president who follows the concepts of none other than Josef Goebbels.