Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

RichLB
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:13 pm
Been liked: 34 times

#31 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby RichLB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 pm

I support the restaurant. The Public Accommodations Act prohibits discriminating against someone due to religion, sexual orientation, race and a few other demarcations. But it does not prohibit refusing service to kidnappers, treasonous liars, or those who abet such crimes.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Posts: 14678
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#32 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby Gaybutton » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:36 pm

RichLB wrote:But it does not prohibit refusing service to kidnappers, treasonous liars, or those who abet such crimes.

That applies only after such people have been convicted of those sorts of crimes.

Don't you see the bigger picture? If a restaurant can refuse to serve someone based solely upon hating that person, then that opens the door to banning anyone who the proprietor happens to dislike, for whatever reason. On the same basis as that restaurant, what would stop a grocery store manager from refusing to sell food to Sarah Sanders? What would stop a pharmacy from refusing to fill her prescriptions? What would stop a hotel from refusing to let her stay there?

Remember when people were not allowed to stay in certain hotels or play golf at certain golf courses based on the fact they were Jewish? That wasn't just Nazi Germany. That took place in the USA. Disliking people because of their political stance or their support for a disliked politician is not my idea of sufficient cause to exclude them from places and services otherwise open to the public.

And just because "there are signs in most places of businesses in the US that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"," that doesn't mean they are right to do so. Try refusing service to someone because he is black or Islamic. The last time I saw signs similar to "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone," the signs were a little less wordy. Those signs said, "Whites Only."

I dislike Sarah Sanders too, but I dislike even more setting the precedent that some are advocating.

The Supreme Court just upheld a bakery's right to refuse to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple. That woman in Kentucky got away with refusing a marriage license to a gay couple despite the Supreme Court ruling that she can't do that. As far as I know she still holds that office.

Do you really want to see people banned on the basis that they are Trump supporters or work for Trump? I shudder to think of the doors that opens, and in my opinion those are the wrong kinds of doors to open.


You know what I'm wondering now? And I haven't seen any publicity about this. Just where did she end up having dinner that night?

RichLB
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:13 pm
Been liked: 34 times

#33 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby RichLB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 pm

Gaybutton wrote:And just because "there are signs in most places of businesses in the US that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"," that doesn't mean they are right to do so.

Actually, except for those classes of people included in the Public Accommodations Act, businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they wish.

User avatar
Captain Kirk
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:48 am
Location: Pattaya
Been liked: 30 times

#34 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby Captain Kirk » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:42 am

If they don't want her there they can ask her to leave if they so wish.
Reminds me of my days as a taxi driver. Sitting at the supermarket waiting for a hire I was reading the local newspaper to pass the time. There was a story about a local sex offender and a nice little picture to identify the guy. No sooner had I read that when who walks out of the shop heading straight towards my car but the very same guy. He was told to fuck off by myself and every other driver on the rank.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Posts: 14678
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#35 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby Gaybutton » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:38 am

RichLB wrote:Actually, except for those classes of people included in the Public Accommodations Act, businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they wish.

Having the right and exercising that right are two different things. A perfect example of that would be Trump's tweets. He has the right to post those tweets, but I can't think of anything that makes it right for him to post his utter shit.

Another example is right here on my board. As the board owner I have the right to grant membership to or ban anyone I want, for any reason I want. I loathe and despise Trump, but I have had Trump supporters on this board. I had the right to ban Trump supporters, but would I have been right to do so on that basis? I don't think so.

Any Trump supporters who are no longer on this board left by their own choice and volition. I did not refuse to allow membership or posts from Trump supporters despite my anti-Trump position - and if any Trump supporters ever choose to join or return to this board, I would welcome them, despite the fact that I can't understand why anyone would want to support Trump.

I feel the same way about that restaurant and the way they treated Sarah Sanders. I meant what I said - if I had been there and seen what was going on, I would have gotten up and walked right out with her.

Along with the signs telling us they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, maybe they ought to add something to those signs to say, "especially Trump supporters."

I still want to know where she and her entourage finally did have dinner that night . . .

RichLB
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:13 pm
Been liked: 34 times

#36 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby RichLB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 am

In a way GB you are illustrating the flaw in opting for polite responses to this administration's outrageous behavior. I argue it is time to cease giving them a free pass. Lying to the public has been normalized, ignoring constitutional rights is now being merely classified as a difference in opinion, inflaming racial tensions is now considered okay, and so on is too often met with liberal gnashing of the teeth and polite social utterances of disagreement. I think its time for Trumpsters to be held accountable for what their ignorance is enabling. They think nothing of the harm they are doing to the nation and individuals by their compliance. It's time for them to feel the sting of nonviolent retaliation.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Posts: 14678
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#37 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby Gaybutton » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 am

RichLB wrote:II think its time for Trumpsters to be held accountable for what their ignorance is enabling.

So do I. I'm just as angry as anybody and I believe the Trump administration needs to be confronted and strongly opposed.

But I just don't think a restaurant is the appropriate place to do it.

fountainhall
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 123 times
Been liked: 365 times

#38 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby fountainhall » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:56 am

RichLB wrote:I think its time for Trumpsters to be held accountable for what their ignorance is enabling. They think nothing of the harm they are doing to the nation and individuals by their compliance. It's time for them to feel the sting of nonviolent retaliation.

I could not agree more. But the problem surely is that we know Trump's base is solid and believes the rest of the USA are basically idiots because they have not been converted to Trump's policy of a race to the bottom. What happened at the restaurant is merely red meat to that base. Trump has already latched on to it and had crowds roaring at his encasing it with his lies. That not only emboldens his base. It might just convert some who are sitting on the fence. The real problem is that outright lies can be exposed as such. Lies wrapped around an actual truth make it vastly more difficult to call him out on those lies.

Up2u
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:06 am
Liked: 225 times
Been liked: 77 times

#39 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby Up2u » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:01 am

Ana Navarro on CNN said it best, Some who defend a baker's right to deny service to gay couples, whine regarding people refusing service to a person who is the face of a deceitful Administration. What's good for the goose, is good for the Red Hen. Difference is, being gay is not a choice. Being an accomplice to Trump, is.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Posts: 14678
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#40 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Postby Gaybutton » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am

While I disagree with what the restaurant did, I also disagree with the way Sarah Sanders is reacting to it. I think she is wrong to now be trying to take advantage of the incident and seems to now be trying to paint herself as some kind of martyr. I think she should simply have quietly left and let that be the end of it.

And Trump - the President of the United States - should have kept his nose out of it entirely. If reporters asked him to comment about it, that's when a response would be appropriate. But to take it upon himself to post a vicious tweet? As President of the United States? WRONG!




Return to “Everything Else”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests