Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Gaybutton

Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trump, of course, is blaming his decision to shut down the government on the Democrats for refusing to fully fund his border wall.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same Donald Trump who campaigned on saying he's going to build the border wall and Mexico will pay for it?

Include me in your blaming, Mr. Trump, because I don't want so much as one cent of my tax money going toward paying for your absurd wall.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Who will blink first do you think?
When all those folk who are not getting paid have waited too long for their money and decide not to go to work until they get paid who will blink first, Trump or the Democrats?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:Who will blink first do you think?
That is a very good question. Trump's government shutdown is now into its second week. And on top of federal employees being denied their money during the holiday season, Trump just issued an executive order freezing pay raises for federal employees.

I think, and also hope, this will all backfire on Trump when federal employees start running out of money, have to borrow money to survive, have to dip into any savings they have, can't pay their bills, can't buy food, can't buy fuel, start seeing their utilities shut off in the middle of winter, etc. Along with that, once the shutdown is over they may not even be paid retroactively.

If I were a federal employee, at this point my priority would not be who will give in first, but instead would be how am I supposed to survive with no pay and why should I continue reporting to work without pay? And in my eyes, the one person who can put an end to my problems would be Trump. He may be forced to give in if major protests start up or even riots break out.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Apparently the first two Trump problems the Democrats are going to tackle immediately are ending the government shutdown over Trump's ridiculous wall and forcing the release of Trump's tax returns - 10 years worth of tax returns.

Even Mitt Romney is going after Trump.

Democrats to ask for 10 years of presidential tax returns in new bill

By Lauren Fox, CNN

January 2, 2019

(CNN) - Democrats are making presidential tax returns a focal point in one of their first pieces of legislation, an effort to build the case to the American people that time is up on President Donald Trump keeping his own tax returns from the public, shutting what could be a window into his personal wealth.

According to two sources familiar with the discussions, Democrats will include a provision in their new bill that would require presidential nominees to disclose 10 years of tax returns shortly after they become the nominee. Vice presidents would also be required to disclose a decade of returns. The tax returns would then be posted on the Federal Election Commission's website for public viewing.

The 10-year requirement is new marker. At the end of last year, Democrats had disclosed H.R. 1 would require presidential candidates to release just three years of tax returns, but a source familiar with the process said that after reviewing precedent, the marker was moved to a decade of returns.
The provision would be included in H.R. 1, a far-reaching bill that makes sweeping ethics changes as well as lays out Democratic priorities on voting rights and health care. The legislation isn't expected to pass the Republican-controlled Senate or be signed by Trump, also a Republican. However, it will give committees an opportunity to set markers on Democratic priorities in the new Congress.

The House Ways and Means Committee had planned to hold a hearing on the tax provision in H.R. 1 at the end of January. However, it could slip into February depending on the outcome of a partial government shutdown that has consumed Washington and left House Democrats spending their early days in the majority negotiating to reopen the government.

While Democrats take a legislative approach, they are fully aware that it isn't likely to be signed into law. The House Ways and Means Committee is also pursuing another route to obtain Trump's tax returns. Democrats believe under an obscure IRS rule, the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, Rep. Richard Neal of Massachusetts, has the power to obtain the returns from the Treasury Department. Neal has said he plans to ask for them in the new Congress, but when exactly he'd make his move is still under discussion.

Trump has repeatedly refused to release his tax returns because he's under audit by the IRS. Being under IRS audit does not preclude someone from disclosing his or her tax returns.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/01/02/politics/ ... index.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Well, Mr. Trump, as long as you don't seem to mind blackmailing the entire country with your moronic government shutdown, and have already made it clear you will continue the shutdown for weeks, months, or even years, why not do it right? Along with building your wall along the Mexican border, let's also build walls around the sanctuary cities so illegal immigrants can't get into them. While we're at it, how about a wall along the Canadian border too? After all, we don't want illegal Canadians entering the USA, do we? And don't forget the Atlantic coast. Don't we need a wall there too? Come to think of it, it wasn't all that long ago when someone else came up with the idea of an "Atlantic Wall." Did him a lot of good, didn't it . . .

I want my wall. And I'm going to hold my breath until I'm blue in the face to get it!

You know what interests me, Mr. Trump? Once you've built your wall and a lot of illegal immigrants manage to get in anyway, what are you going to say to us then?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It probably isn't going anywhere. It makes too much sense. But at least he has the right idea.
________________________________________________________________________________

Congressman proposes eliminating Electoral College, preventing presidents from pardoning themselves

By Jamie Ehrlich, CNN

January 4, 2019

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Steve Cohen has proposed two constitutional amendments, one that would abolish the Electoral College and another that would prohibit presidents from pardoning themselves, their families, members of their administration or their campaign staffs.

The Tennessee Democrat, who sits on the House Judiciary Committee, proposed his amendments Thursday, the first day of the 116th Congress after the Democrats took power of the House. In 2017, he introduced articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump.

The Constitution provides for both the structure of the Electoral College and presidential pardon power, therefore changing either of them would require a constitutional amendment rather than a law passed by Congress.

Calls to abolish the Electoral College intensified in the aftermath of the 2016 election, when former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton won the popular vote but lost the presidency when Trump won the majority of the Electoral College. Similar calls were made in 2000, when former Vice President Al Gore also won the popular vote but lost the Electoral College to George W. Bush. Both losing candidates were Democrats.

Pardon power has also come under increased scrutiny in recent months, after Trump said he wouldn't take pardoning his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who faces jail time after pleading guilty to several federal crimes, "off the table." Trump has also said he has "the absolute right" to pardon himself.

"Americans expect and deserve the winner of the popular vote to win office," Cohen said in a statement. "More than a century ago, we amended our Constitution to provide for the direct election of U.S. Senators. It is past time to directly elect our President and Vice President."

In order to take effect, both bills would need to be passed by two-thirds of both houses of Congress and be ratified by three-fourths of the states.

The president plays no role in passing constitutional amendments.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/ ... index.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

In case you missed it, here's the Trump speech and the Democrat response:

And here is some media response: